Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Bloomin' Onion Bread and a Book Review

My friend, Sid of Sid's Sea Palm Cooking, is not only an amazing cook who has written several cookbooks including Nibbles and Bites which I reviewed for you in 2018 but she has now ventured into fiction with the release of her first book, Yank my Chain.

Yank my Chain

I ordered it on my Kindle Unlimited account, as soon as it was released.  I was super impressed with this novel, especially as I knew it was her first release.  I LOVED the characters and read the book in 2 days.  

I also love the touch of fantasy in the book, with a loving grandmother, who reaches beyond the grave to keep her family safe.  

The story takes place in a very small, very rural, town in Florida and focuses on Elle who was born and raised in this town where everyone knows everyone and there are no secrets.  Until Elle stumbles upon a dead young woman while out foraging. Suddenly, there are some secrets that need to be uncovered.  

Elle's brother is also the town sheriff and together, with help from other agencies, they solve the crime and life returns to normal.....well normal for their little town anyway.

There is a large family dinner at the end of the novel and Sid shared some of the recipes featured in that dinner, including the recipe I was inspired to make and share with you today.

Bloomin' Onion Bread

This is written in the novel as Elle's specialty, her Blooming Onion Bread.  I used a small sourdough loaf, so halved the amount of cheese, using shredded instead of cutting up slices.  This bread is incredibly delicious and super easy to make.  

I served it as a side dish to a casserole so it could bake as the casserole finished and then I increased the temperature and finished the bread while the casserole rested to be served.

Sid asked me to please be honest with my review so I will mention here that I think the book needed additional editing before release.  As I said, I loved the story and the characters but sometimes the book was written in first person and then would switch to third person which I found distracting.  

The book also repeated itself at times.  I think that may have been intentional as part of Elle's character, but I'm not sure.  I think Sid is writing a sequel to this book featuring another of the town residents. I look forward to spending more time getting to know them all.

I will be sharing this review over at Foodies Read. Stop by and see what the other foodies are reading this month.



Bread, Cheese, Side Dish, Appetizer
Appetizer, Side Dish
American
Yield: 8-10 servings
Author: Wendy Klik
Bloomin' Onion Bread

Bloomin' Onion Bread

Sourdough bread smothered in melted cheese, green onions and poppy seeds. This makes a great side dish or centerpiece to a charcuterie board.
Prep time: 10 MinCook time: 30 MinTotal time: 40 Min

Ingredients

  • 1 small round loaf of sourdough bread
  • 2 c. shredded Monterey Jack cheese
  • 1 stick butter, melted
  • 1 bunch scallions, white and light green parts, sliced
  • 3 t. poppy seeds

Instructions

  1. Using a sharp bread knife cut the round loaf in slices in both directions cutting nearly to the bottom but not through. You will have a criss-cross of squares when completed.
  2. Place the loaf onto a large piece of aluminum foil and then onto a baking sheet.
  3. Stuff the cheese in between all the squares, pushing down as far as possible.
  4. Melt the butter and stir in the onions and poppy seeds. Spoon over the loaf as evenly as possible.
  5. Wrap the bread in the foil and place into a preheated 350* oven for 20 minutes. Open the foil so the bread is uncovered, increase heat to 375* and bake for another 10-15 minutes.

Notes

Adapted from a recipe found in the novel Yank my Chain

Nutrition Facts

Calories

367.14

Fat (grams)

21.83 g

Sat. Fat (grams)

13.01 g

Carbs (grams)

30.11 g

Fiber (grams)

1.54 g

Net carbs

28.57 g

Sugar (grams)

2.87 g

Protein (grams)

13.4 g

Sodium (milligrams)

601.95 mg

Cholesterol (grams)

55.51 mg

2 comments:

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.