Saturday, April 2, 2022

Spezzatino d'agnello and a G.D. Vajra Albe #ItalianFWT #SupperClubSaturday

This delicious dish of lamb slow braised in a garlicky tomato sauce until fall apart tender was the perfect pairing with this Barolo wine from Italy.

lamb stew and wine

We are celebrating the Slow Food and Wine Movement with the Italian Food Wine and Travel group.
Gwendolyn of Wine Predator invited us to learn more about the Slow Food and Slow Wine movement that started in Italy as our theme for this month.   You can learn more at her invitation post.

I also belong to another group that meets each first Saturday of the month to share recipes hosted by Sue of Palatable Pastime called Supperclub Saturday.  You can find the recipes being shared this month at the links below.....


Wine bottle label

I didn't know too much about the slow wine movement but when I read the back of this bottle of Albe Barolo I thought it sounded as if it would be included in the wineries that participate in this movement and grow their wines organically and without synthetic pesticides.

I am anxious for our twitter chat today at 11 AM ET so that I can learn more about this movement and the wines included.  You are welcome to join us and learn along with me or chime in and teach me by following #ItalianFWT.

Here are some of the topics that will be discussed......



I love Barolo wine and was anxious to try this bottle from G.D. Vajra.  The Vajra family has farmed this vineyard since the 1880's.  The current owner, Aldo, took over in 1968 when he was only 15 years of age and acquired the first organic certification of the region in 1971.

This independent, family owned winery consistently gets great scores for their wines that are complex and full bodied thanks in part to the high elevation on which the grapes are grown.

lamb stew

I wanted to find a dish that would do this wine justice and also stay true to the Slow Food Movement.  I think I accomplished both with this Spezzatino d'agnello, a slow cooked lamb stew flavored with garlic and rosemary then braised in a tomato base.



Entrees, Lamb, Braised, Tomatoes, Garlic, Italian
Entrees, Lamb
Italian
Yield: 4 serving
Author: A Day in the Life on the Farm
Spezzatino d'agnello (Lamb stewed with tomatoes and garlic)

Spezzatino d'agnello (Lamb stewed with tomatoes and garlic)

Chunks of lean lamb braised in a fragrant tomato sauce until fork tender.
Prep time: 15 MinCook time: 3 MinTotal time: 18 Min

Ingredients

  • 1 lb. lamb stew meat, well trimmed of fat and gristle
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • leaves from one stem rosemary, chopped
  • 2 T. olive oil
  • handful of flour seasoned to taste with salt and pepper
  • 3/4 c. dry white wine
  • 1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
  • 1/2 c. vegetable or beef broth + more as needed

Instructions

  1. Heat the oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Add the garlic and rosemary. Cook and stir until fragrant and garlic is golden brown.
  2. Dredge the lamb in the seasoned flour and place in a single layer in the dutch oven, browning on all sides.
  3. Remove the lamb to a plate and set aside.
  4. Increase the heat to med high and add the wine to the dutch oven. Cook, stirring and scraping up any browned bits stuck to the bottom of the pan, until wine is reduced. Add the tomatoes with their juices and the broth. Return the lamb and any accumulated juices to the dutch oven and place in a preheated 350* oven for 2-3 hrs.
  5. Stir the stew about every half an hour and add more broth or water, as needed, so that lamb is covered. When the lamb begin falling apart as you stir, it is ready to be served.

Notes

Adapted from Italian by Carla Capalbo

Nutrition Facts

Calories

288.78

Fat (grams)

13.39

Sat. Fat (grams)

3.2

Carbs (grams)

9.33

Fiber (grams)

2.09

Net carbs

7.24

Sugar (grams)

4.96

Protein (grams)

25.08

Sodium (milligrams)

420.6

Cholesterol (grams)

73.71

12 comments:

  1. Looks very tasty. I love wine braised meats. I wonder how this would be with goat? I am a big goat meat fan. Very similar to lamb. Thanks for the recipe, Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I was making this I, too, thought of goat. My friend, Fr. Rooney who was from Ireland once told me that in his homeland goat/lamb are used interchangeably.

      Delete
  2. I love the Vajra wines -- great choice. I'm sure it was delicious paired with Spezzatino.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful choice! A pioneering producer. Thank you for sharing. PS I could see it with goat also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That gravy looks so rich and thick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cool winery and a lovely lamb dish! I just love Barolo, and like that this winery is more than 100 years old and follow the slow wine ethos. Thanks for sharing the recipe too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. G.D. Vajra is such a solid producer to chose from and with stewed lamb.....sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.