Friday, November 22, 2019

Snickerdoodles featuring Book Blends from #TheBookClubCookbook and the Weekly Menu

I received product from a sponsor for use in this recipe and blog post.  I received no monetary compensation.  All opinions, content and writings are strictly my own.

Tender, soft and chewy these butter cookies coated in cinnamon and sugar are a holiday classic.


Who doesn't love a snickerdoodle?  Even the name makes you smile......

I was approached by Judy Gelman of The Book Club Cookbook  and asked if I would like to receive and sample one of their new lines of Book Blends, TV Blends or Music Blends of spices.

I went to the Spice Blends Page and was like a kid in a candy store.  They have spice blends based on novels with adorable titles like "A Wrinkle in Thyme", "Where the Crawdad's Zing" and the spice I chose "Of Spice and Men".


They have recently added to the line with TV Blends like "Grain of Thrones" and Music Blends like "Chai a Little Tenderness".  It is worth stopping by just to giggle at the names.  They even have some themed blend boxes and/or will allow you to create your own box based on the recipient.  

This is the perfect gift for that person in your life that loves to cook or bake and rounds that out with a love of reading, music and relaxing in front of the television.  

I chose of Spice and Men for several reasons:
  • I had just noted that I was nearly out of cinnamon.
  • Of Mice and Men is one of my very favorite classic novels.
  • The description of this bottle is "a spice to power your journey and forge friendships"
  • I share my Christmas Cookies each year, forging friendships, and Snickerdoodles need cinnamon.
When I do my Christmas baking I sometimes enjoy making new fancy schmancy cookies, cakes and treats but regardless of how many new fancy desserts I come up with, my family and friends always drift towards the tried and true traditional favorites that I make each year.  When making these simple, tried and true holiday treats I always make sure to use the very best ingredients; real butter, fresh eggs, pure extracts, fine spices. 


When making Snickerdoodles that rely so very much on the cinnamon sugar coating, it is even more important to use the very best cinnamon you can find.  This Idonesian Korintje Cinnamon is absolutely wonderful.  I had never even heard of it prior to receiving this bottle but I can absolutely see why they chose to include it in their line-up.

I have been doing a lot of baking around here lately, not only for my own holiday gatherings that I am planning but also for donating to our church bake sale.  The funds from this bake sale are going towards fighting human trafficking.  I live in an area of Michigan that has a very high influx of sex trafficking victims being brought into our country.  If we can help save even one of these victims I will bake until the cows come home.

This weekend is going to be very busy and it won't slow down around here until after Thanksgiving.  Tomorrow I am cooking and serving dinner to our parishioners in celebration of our priest's 40 anniversary.  I will be spending most of today prepping and cooking with the help of a great group of volunteers.  We plan on about 100 people attending the dinner.

On Monday we are prepping and distributing Thanksgiving Dinner baskets for nearly 70 families who are finding themselves in financial straits this holiday.

Tuesday will be spent running errands and getting supplies for our Thanksgiving Feast.  Wednesday will be spent in the hospital while Frank has a procedure completed and then Wednesday night will be spent baking the Holiday Pies and Desserts.  Friday....I'm resting and saying a prayer of thanks for leftovers.

So, before I share my Snickerdoodle Recipe with you, I am sharing our Weekly Menu.  Please stop in and see me during the week, I will always find time for you.......

Saturday-Father Terrien's Reception
Salad bar
Baked Mostaccioli
Fettuccine Alfredo
Mixed Italian Blend Vegetables
Bread Sticks
Assorted Desserts (provided by parishioners)

Sunday
Mashed Potatoes
Green Beans

Monday
Pizza after Thanksgiving Basket Distribution

Tuesday
Corn Bread

Wednesday
Dinner out

Thanksgiving
Menu TBD 

Friday
Leftovers




#cookies, #cinnamon, #holidaybaking, #desserts,
Desserts, Cookies
American
Yield: 5 dozen
Author:

Snickerdoodles

Snickerdoodles

Tender, soft and chewy these butter cookies coated in cinnamon and sugar are a holiday classic.
prep time: 15 Mcook time: 12 Mtotal time: 27 M

ingredients:

  • 2 sticks butter, room temperature
  • 1 3/4 c. sugar, divided
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 t. vanilla
  • 2 3/4 c. flour
  • 1 1/2 t. cream of tartar
  • 1/2 t. baking soda
  • 1 t. salt
  • 1 1/2 T. cinnamon (I used Indonesian Korintje)

instructions:

How to cook Snickerdoodles

  1. In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup of the sugar and the cinnamon.  Set aside.
  2. In large bowl of stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and remaining sugar until light and fluffy, scraping the bowl as needed.  
  3. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each, adding the vanilla with the last egg.
  4. Add the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt.  Mix on low speed until incorporated, increase the speed and mix until well combined.  Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least half an hour and up to a couple of days.
  5. When ready to bake, roll the dough into small balls and then dredge them in the sugar and cinnamon mixture until completely coated.  Place onto cookie sheets that are covered in parchment or silicone mats and bake in a preheated 350* oven for about 10-12 minutes. 
  6. Let cool for a few minutes on the baking sheets before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
Calories
887.86
Fat (grams)
39.27
Sat. Fat (grams)
23.96
Carbs (grams)
125.55
Fiber (grams)
3.10
Net carbs
122.45
Sugar (grams)
70.69
Protein (grams)
10.09
Sodium (milligrams)
912.92
Cholesterol (grams)
171.58
Created using The Recipes Generator






4 comments:

  1. Snickerdoodles are D's FAVORITE cookies. I don't know why I didn't even think of making those. I'll remedy that tonight. Or, he will. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't had a good snickerdoodle in years (and it's been longer since I made any)! I've got a couple of bookish spice blend posts coming up too. I love their creative names!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.