Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Pipérade a'la Julia Child #FantasticalFoodFight #BacktoSchool

This open faced omelette garnished with Onion, Tomatoes, Peppers and Ham was taken from Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child, whose birthday we are celebrating today during our Fantastical Food Fight.


This is also perfect as we get ready for Back to School, since the pipérade can be made in advance meaning a quick, delicious, healthy breakfast on those busy mornings.....
This omelette is served open face right from the skillet for the family to grab as they come to the table.  I served this pan up alongside some Spice Island Muffins and it was the perfect way to start the day.


My friend Sarah of Fantastical Sharing of Recipes, asked us all to feature recipes from Julia Child this month.  August is Julia Childs' Birthday month so Sarah thought it would be a perfect topic for our Fantastical Food Fight this time around.


I was very excited to pull down my copy of Mastering the Art of French Cooking and prepare one of Julia's classic recipes.

While I was thumbing through the cookbook, I remembered that Ellen of Family Around the Table, was also hosting a Back to School event today.  I immediately turned my attention to recipes from Julia that would be a good fit for this event.


I hit pay dirt when I found this delicious open faced omelette recipe.  I adapted it slightly, mostly in the preparation stages for the pipérade.


Instead of peeling the tomatoes ahead of time and then juicing, seeding and slicing them.  I just simply sliced them, removed the seeds and added them with the skins on.  Once the tomatoes were cooked it took only seconds to remove the skins before proceeding with the dish.


You start the recipe by browning up some ham slices.  This would be perfect with leftover ham.  I used deli sliced ham as that was what I had available.  The ham slices get set aside and can be made the browned the day before and just rewarmed in the morning.


The next step is to saute your peppers and onions in the same pan. 


Stir in the garlic and a sprinkle of cayenne.  Then add a layer of the tomatoes.  This cooks for about 5 minutes and then the skins are removed from the tomatoes and discarded.  Continue cooking until any juice is nearly evaporated.

Remove this mixture, the pipérade, and set aside.  The recipe can be made ahead to this point, saving you precious time in the morning.


In the morning, it is just a matter of scrambling the eggs, adding the warmed piperade and topping with the warmed ham.  Breakfast is served.  Bon Appetit....as Julia Child would say.

Please stop by and see what the other Fantastical Food Fighters and Festive Foodies are sharing today.  You will find links to their recipes following mine.


#breakfast, #frenchcooking, #eggs, #ham, #peppers, #onions,
Breakfast
French
Yield: 6Pin it

Piperade

This open faced omelette garnished with Onion, Tomatoes, Peppers and Ham was taken from Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child, whose birthday we are celebrating today during our Fantastical Food Fight.
prep time: 20 minscook time: 20 minstotal time: 40 mins

ingredients:

1/2 lb. ham slices
2 T. olive oil
1 small sweet onion., thinly sliced
1/2 c. thinly sliced red bell peppers
1 clove garlic, minced
dash of cayenne pepper
salt and pepper, to taste
2 lg. ripe tomatoes, sliced  and seeded
1 T. butter
9 eggs, lightly beaten  and seasoned with salt and pepper

instructions

Heat the olive oil in  a cast iron skillet over med high heat.  Add the ham slices and cook until lightly browned.  Remove to a plate and set aside.

In same skillet, add the onions and peppers, season with salt and pepper and cook until tender but not browned.  Stir in the garlic and cayenne.  Lay the tomato slices over all and cover. Cook for about 5 minutes.  Uncover and, using a fork, remove the skins from the tomato slices and discard.  Raise the heat and bring to a boil for a few minutes, shaking and stirring until liquid has evaporated.  Remove to a plate and set aside.

Heat the butter in the skillet.  When hot, but not smoking, pour in the eggs and  whisk until just set.  Add the piperade (pepper, onions and tomato) to the eggs and gently incorporate into the eggs.  Rewarm the ham and layer on top.  Serve in the skillet, if desired.

NOTES:

Recipe adapted from Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child
Created using The Recipes Generator


Happy Birthday Julia




Back to School Recipes

12 comments:

  1. I have never heard of this recipe, but I wish I had seen it before I made breakfast this morning. Yum! I'll be making it soon for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving these flavors! As I understand it, it's a Basque recipe which has all that combined French-Spanish thing going. I made some Basque chicken about a month ago and loved it. It has flavors similar to these (well, chicken instead of omelette) but the French so love all chicken and egg recipes. As do I. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a recipe from the Basque region and it is delicious.

      Delete
  3. You are so good at finding synergy with all of the events! This omelette sounds delicious, and I love that you found it in her book!! So French!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great recipe from a wonderful book of Julia Child, this looks too good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love Julia, and this sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love when blogging events line up like this! What a great breakfast to prepare kids for a full school day :) Mine would love this recipe for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too, Sarah. Thanks for hosting this fun group each month. Great theme this time.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.