Monday, May 14, 2018

Celebrating Spring with a Lemon Tart #BakingBloggers

For some reason Lemon screams spring and summer to me.  Yes, I know it's not technically a summer fruit but lemon trees bud, flower and bear fruit all year long.  Sometimes they do all three at once.


Our Baking Bloggers group, led by my friend Sue of Palatable Pastime, are showcasing fruit tarts today.  I was originally going to make a rhubarb custard tart because my friend, John, has an abundance of rhubarb and requested that I make him one.



Then, suddenly it was Friday and I still hadn't gone over to get the rhubarb.  Tomorrow my schedule is chock full so tart day had to be today if I were going to be ready to post this today.  Luckily, I always have lemons in the refrigerator so the day was saved.


Don't worry John, I will definitely be doing your rhubarb custard pie very soon.  In the meantime we are going to enjoy this easy and delicious Lemon Tart.

You will find links to all the other Fruit Tarts following my recipe.




dessert, tart, shortbread, lemon, easy
dessert, fruit, pastries
American
Yield: 1 (9") Tart


Pin it

Lemon Tart

prep time: 15 MINScook time: 50 MINStotal time: 65 mins
This bright, lemony tart with a shortbread cookie crust is sure to be a hit any time of the year.

ingredients:

Shortbread Crust
  • 3/4 c. unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 1/2 t. almond extract
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 3/4 c. flour
Filling
  • 1 1/2 c. sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • zest of 2 lemons
  • juice of 3 lemons
  • 1/2 c. flour
  • Powdered Sugar and Lemon Slices for garnish, if desired

instructions:

Shortbread Crust
  1. Place butter, sugar, almond extract,  salt, and eggs into the large bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment.  Cream until combined and fluffy.  Lower speed and gradually add the flour.  Mixture will be crumbly but should stick together when pressed with fingers.  Press mixture around bottom and sides of a 9" tart pan.   Place tart pan on a baking sheet that has been covered with parchment or a silicon mat.  Bake in a preheated 350* oven for 20 minutes. 

    While crust is baking prepare the filling by whisking together the sugar, eggs, zest, juice and flour until smooth.

    When crust has browned,  remove baking sheet containing the tart from the oven and pour the filling into the crust.  Return to the oven and bake for 30 minutes, covering with foil during the last 10 minutes, until set.

    Remove to a wire rack and cool completely.  Remove tart from pan to serving platter and garnish by sprinkling with powdered sugar and decorating with sliced lemon, if desired.

notes

This recipe adapted from Allrecipes, originally submitted by Chef Christi.
Created using The Recipes Generator




Baking Bloggers

Fruit Tarts and Galettes

12 comments:

  1. Yum! This tart looks so wonderful paired with the shortbread crust.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always been a big fan of lemon. Anything lemon suits me be it dessert, chicken, using it in soup.....mmmm
    Lovely dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This tart sounds so delicious. P.S. I love the yellow plate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a steal from Sur La Table at a Clearance rack. Thanks Karen.

      Delete
  4. I love this lemon tart is so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lemon tarts are irresistible in any crust or any variation. Parisian bakeries usually have little tartlettes with a very sour lemon curd that I would (almost) kill for! This one sounds luscious!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mae, one of these days I hope to visit one of those Parisian bakeries.

      Delete
  6. You can never go wrong with lemon. I'm also jealous of your rhubarb. It never appeared in stores here.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.