Monday, March 27, 2017

Oh My Darling Muffins #MuffinMonday

Oh my Darling
Oh my Darling
Oh my Darling, Clementine.......


Yep, these tasty muffins contain the zest of one Clementine and the juice of two Clementines.  OH MY DARLING....you knew they were going to be good.


But just in case we needed a touch more goodness, I added a streusel topping.  Not just any streusel topping but one made with the addition of trail mix.


These could also be called "Clean out the Pantry" muffins.  Because that is exactly what I did.  Frank was having a CPL class and I wanted to serve muffins and fruit for the students in the morning.  I had a bowl of fruit salad left from Sunday that I had been picking at but still had plenty left for the students.  So that left the muffins.  I opened the refrigerator and spied half of a bag of clementines....perfect.  Then I looked over and saw half a jug of buttermilk and grabbed that out as well.  


I made up the batter and started scooping it into the cupcake papers.  I felt like they were kind of blah. I was considering emptying them back into the bowl and adding some dried fruit or maybe chocolate chips to the batter.  Mmmmmmm, orange and chocolate.  I really didn't want to deal with that mess, so then I considered just sticking a few chocolate chips into each filled cup.  


I grabbed a handful of trail mix as I pondered and finally decided to make a streusel topping.  Maybe some brown sugar, butter and cinnamon would be good.  How about nuts?  I grabbed another handful of trail mix and turned to the freezer to see what kind of nuts I could add when I had a smack your palm to your forehead moment.

My trail mix had nuts.  And dried fruit.  And chocolate.  Hallelujah, my muffins were saved!!  I threw some of the trail mix in the food processor with some flour, sugar and butter and sprinkled it, very generously, over the muffins.


They baked up beautifully, with a tender crumb and a nice crown from the combination of baking powder and buttermilk.  The streusel was gorgeous and the muffins had to be eaten with one hand underneath so you didn't lose any of that crumbley goodness.


I served them up along with the fruit, coffee and juice.  As I was putzing around the kitchen, I heard one of the students exclaim to the others "Wow, this is some muffin!".  

Oh My Darling Muffins

2 c. flour
1 T. baking powder
pinch of salt
2 eggs
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. buttermilk
zest of one clementine (mandarin)
juice of two clementine (mandarin)
1/4 c. canola oil

Streusel:

1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. sugar
1/3 c. butter, cut into chunks
1/2 c. trail mix

Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.  Make a well in the center and set aside. 

In a smaller bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, buttermilk, zest, juice and oil.  Dump into the well of the dry ingredients and stir just until moistened.  Divide batter between 12 muffin tins lined with paper cups.

Make the streusel by placing the flour, butter, sugar and trail mix in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse to desired consistency.   Sprinkle the streusel topping generously over the batter.

Bake in a preheated 400* oven for 15-18 minutes or until a skewer inserted into a muffin removes cleanly.  Print Recipe

More Magnificent Muffins




#MuffinMonday is a group of muffin loving bakers who get together once a month to bake muffins. You can see all our of lovely muffins by following our Pinterest board.

Updated links for all of our past events and more information about Muffin Monday, can be found on our home page.

8 comments:

  1. YES! These sound so delicious! I love clementines and any muffin topped with streusel is perfect in my book :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great improv work Wendy! These sound delicious! I was so curious about your muffins ever since I saw the name. Nice! I want one right now =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Karen, they only lasted 2 days and then they were just a happy memory.

      Delete
  3. I couldn't for the life of me guess what an oh my darling muffin would have. Great name and great use of the trail mix. You just gave me a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy Kelly and I am anxious to see what I inspired.

      Delete
  4. A) Thanks for helping host this month!
    B) Thanks for getting that song stuck in my head...
    C) The muffins do sound quite tasty. Love that you put trail mix in the streusel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about the brain worm Lauren. Don't worry, the kids will be listening to something soon that will take it's place LOL

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.