Monday, December 12, 2016

Christmas Around the World. Bullas (Caribbean Spice Cookie) #ChristmasCookies

This is it....the 12th Day of #Christmas Cookies, where I have traveled the globe and shared a different country's cookie each day.  We have gone to Italy, Poland, Lebanon, Germany, Denmark, Czechoslovaki, USA, Greece, Russia, France and Japan.  Today is our last stop, the final leg of our journey.

We had our Santa Party yesterday in the middle of a huge snowstorm...the first snowstorm of the year.  I was worried when the forecast came out that, perhaps, the family would decide to not travel out.  Those fears were unfounded and everyone arrived safely if a little late.  Santa being all knowing, didn't arrive until the very last child was safely tucked into the fold.


I will be sharing more about the party in the next couple of days but suffice it to say....everyone had a good time and Santa was very generous.  When Santa left, we had pizza and salad for lunch and then watched the Lions beat the Bears while some of the young ones went out to enjoy the snow.


Now, the kids had a lot of fun in the snow and it is very beautiful but it is also very cold so I decided that for this last day of the 12 Days of Christmas Cookies to head to the Caribbean where the sun is shining, the water is warm and the cookies are scrumpdillyicious.


These lightly spiced Caribbean cookies are called Bulas.  I found the recipe at a blog written by Julie, called The Red Headed Traveler.  I had to make some adjustments to the recipe. I added some butter and water because I had found that it was too dry to roll out for cutting.  Once I made these adjustments they rolled out beautifully and baked to a crisp cookie that reminded me of the windmill cookies my Mom used to buy when I was a kid.


These cookies, along with all the others were a great hit at the Santa Party.  12 Days of Cookies disappeared pretty quickly.


Welcome to the 12 Days of Cookies, hosted by Family Around the Table and Cooking With Carlee. We have been filling the season with all kinds of delicious cookies.  Be sure to check out some of the recipes below or you can follow along on Facebook or Twitter by searching #ChristmasCookies.  We also have a 12 Days of Cookies Pinterest board where you can see all of the goodness!  May your holidays be sweet!

I want to thank you, dear readers, for joining me on the fun World Tour.  I have enjoyed it very much and I appreciate your company.  

Bullas
adapted from The Red Headed Traveller

3 c flour
1 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1 t. nutmeg
1/2 t. ground ginger
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. water
4 T. butter

Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg and ginger in the large bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.  Place the brown sugar and water in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir until sugar is melted and mixture is slightly thickened.  Turn heat to low, stir in butter until melted.  Remove from heat and allow to cool.

Turn the stand mixer to low speed and gradually add the cooled sugar mixture to the flour mixture until moistened.  Increase speed and mix until thoroughly combined.  Roll out the dough to 1/4" thickness, cut into desired shapes, place on a parchment lined baking sheet and sprinkle with colored sugar and bake in a preheated 375* oven for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.  Print Recipe

Make sure you stop by to see what the others are sharing on this last day








4 comments:

  1. Mmmm, I love the idea of a lightly spiced roll out cookie... and sunny warmth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I was so glad that I had the Santa Party Paula so I could get these cookies away from me. I have no self control at all.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.