Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Crusty Griddle-Baked Quesadillas for Foodie Extravaganza

foodieextravaganza

Time once again for a fun little club that we call Foodie Extravaganza Party.  Did you know that every month there are national holidays celebrating different foods?  Well, let me assure you that there are and they cover everything from fruits to nuts and beyond.  This month we celebrate National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day!!

This month's party is being hosted by Lauren of From Gate to Plate and it is sure to be a good time. Make sure you stop by everyone's post through the link on the bottom of this page.  You will not be sorry...you are in for an oooooey, goooey good time!

France has Croque Monsieurs, Italy has Panini, UK has Cheese Toast, Australia has vegemite, USA has grilled cheese in many variations, Brazil has Bauru and Mexico has Quesadillas....I decided to go to Mexico for today's party.



Oooey Goooey Melty Mexican Chihuahua Cheese
 with Roasted Poblano Rajas and a side of Guacamole.

I took my recipe from Rick Bayless's Mexican Kitchen Cookbook.  I love this cookbook and it is my go to whenever I get a hankering to prepare Mexican food from scratch.  My friends are always requesting that I bring guacamole to parties because this version that I took from Rick Bayless is the best!!  I served it along with these Mexican Grilled Cheese Sandwiches.


Char your peppers over the open flame on the grates of your stove top or under a broiler.
When charred all over, place in a shallow bowl and cover with a kitchen towel for 5 minutes or so.
Peel, stem and seed the pepper and slice them into 1/4" strips.


When making the tortillas your dough should be the consistency of cookie dough.
Take a handful and form it into a ball.
Place a piece of parchment paper on the tortilla press.
Put the dough ball on the parchment paper and flatten slightly with your hand.
Place another piece of parchment paper over the flattened ball and close tortilla press.


Place the tortilla onto a griddle set at medium heat.
Top with the cheese, leaving an inch border, and top with the poblano rajas.
Let cook for 20-30 seconds and flip in half with a spatula, pressing down gently.
Let cook for another 30 seconds, flip over and push to the side while you start on the next quesadilla.
When the next quesadilla is covered with toppings remove the previous to a platter and keep warm.
Continue in this manner until ingredients are used.


Crusty Griddle-Baked Quesadillas
adapted from Rick Bayless's Mexican Kitchen

3 large fresh poblano chiles
1 T. olive oil
1/2 large sweet onion, sliced 1/4" thick
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 t. dried oregano
salt to taste
2 c. masa harina
1 3/4 c. warm water
2 c. shredded Mexican Chihuahua Cheese (also know as Quesadilla Cheese)
Salsa or Guacamole 

Roast the chiles directly over a gas flame or under a broiler until blackened on all sides.  Cover with a kitchen towel and let stand for 5 minutes.  Peel, pull out the stem and seed pod, then rinse briefly to remove bits of skin and seeds.  Slice into 1/4" strips.
In a med size skillet, heat oil over med high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring regularly, until nicely browned but still crunchy, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and oregano and then add the chiles and heat through.  Season to taste with salt.  
Mix the masa harina with the water until combined, add additional water by tablespoonfuls, if needed to make the dough the consistency of soft cookie dough.  Place a piece of parchment paper on the bottom plate of a tortilla press. Roll a handful of the dough into a ball and place on the parchment paper, press down with the palm of your hand and then lay a second piece of parchment paper over the top.  Close the tortilla press, flattening the dough completely.
Remove the top sheet of parchment and lay the tortilla on your hand while you peel off the bottom parchment paper.  Lay the tortilla on a griddle set at med heat.  Cover the tortilla with cheese to a 1/2" from the edge.  Lay a portion of the poblano rajas down the center of the cheese covered tortilla. After about 30 seconds, fold the tortilla in half with a spatula, enfolding the fillings.  Press down slightly and allow to cook for another 30 seconds.  Flip over and push to the side of the griddle while you start the next quesadilla.  When the next quesadilla is cooking remove the previous quesadilla to a platter and keep warm.
Serve with Salsa or Guacamole.  Print Recipe

Take a look at some of the other great Grilled Cheese Recipe being shared today!!



21 comments:

  1. Wow! Homemade tortillas and everything! I am so impressed, Wendy. Great choice for our grilled cheese celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness Wendy! What a fantastic addition to the round up today - looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love roasted poblanos, but have never put them in a quesadilla. What a good idea! I have never made tortillas either. I may have to try both now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't decide whether I'm more excited about the roasted poblanos or the home made tortillas. I've been wanting to make tortillas, and now I have a place to start!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, these look delicious! I have only made flour tortilla so far. Definitely need to make some with masa harina next.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds amazing! I am looking forward to trying this. I love the peppers and the cheese together. What a great combo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it Teri, please let me know what you think.

      Delete
  7. Vegemite has cheese? How did I not know this? I need to do some Googling.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! That sounds so great. I love roasting chilis. So good!! I will try this recipe out. Kathleen @ Fearlessly Creative Mammas

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, it's awesome that you made your own tortillas. It's on my culinary bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are easy to make Lauren but you really need to invest in a tortilla press to get them the right thickness.

      Delete
  10. I love this! Quesadillas are my absolute favorite thing to make at home and everything in yours sounds amazing. Must try.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.