Monday, January 12, 2015

Whiskey Sours in Celebration of Bridget Jones's Diary for Food n Flix

It is time, once again, for one of my favorite foodie clubs....Food n Flix.  This is a great club in which the host chooses a movie, we all watch it and then create amazing dishes inspired by the movie.  This month's Food n Flix is hosted by my friend Evelyne of Cheap Ethnic Eatz.

Food‘nFlix

Evelyne chose the movie "Bridget Jones Diary".  I had never watched the movie nor had I read the book, so I was very excited with the selection this month and contacted the library to order it up almost immediately.  I don't know why I never saw the movie....I mean look at the cast....how could I have missed hearing about this movie for the past 14 years??

bjd_DVD_packshot_hi_res

When I arrived at the library to pick up the movie it was in VHS.  Luckily we still have a VCR so I put the movie in and it started talking to me....explaining in detail everything I was seeing.  I grabbed the cover and saw that, evidently, the only copy the library had was for blind or sight impaired customers so there was a monologue of everything that was going on.  It was distracting at first but after a while I actually enjoyed it  It was kind of like listening to a book on tape with pictures.

There was not a lot of food in this movie.  Mostly there was drinks and cigarettes.  But then I stopped and thought about it and there was actually more food than you would think at first glance.  These are some of the foods seen, eaten or referred to in the movie:

  • pickles on toothpicks
  • lumpy gravy
  • turkey curry
  • tortilla chips
  • chocolate pie
  • eggs
  • coffee and pastries
  • bacon on tv
  • hamburgers/hotdogs
  • moldy cheese
  • Muesli
  • Coke and Candy
  • Leeks and Celery Soup
  • Orange Marmalade or parfait or pudding, depending on what they decided to call it.
  • Tuna
  • Omelets
  • Greek Restaurant
  • Parthenon Cake
  • Birthday Cake

I liked this movie.  I watched it twice in a row because the first time we were taking down our Christmas tree and I did not give it the attention it deserved.  

Bridget is a woman in her early 30's who has tons of pressure from her parents, friends, society and herself to "find a man".  Throughout the movie, 2 men vie for her attention...the epitomy of a "bad boy" played by Hugh Grant and the "good guy" played by Colin Firth.  Of course, Bridget, played by Renee Zellwinger, falls for the "bad boy".  It was a fun movie....you laughed, you cried, you cursed and you cheered.  It was all a movie should be.  I can't believe I had never seen it before.

So after I watched the movie I spent a lot of time wondering what I should create for this post. My first thought was pickles on a stick, but like my Mom used to make them, wrapped in ham spread wth cream cheese.  Alas, my friend, Amy, of Amy's Cooking Adventures, beat me to it.

I considered leek soup, omitting the blue dye.  I thought about omelets.  I could have gone with any Greek recipe.  I spent a lot of time considering Orange Marmalade because I LOVE orange marmalade but finally I decided that food was not the focus of this film.  The focus of this film, other than the love story, was pretty much about gathering with friends and drinking and drinking and smoking and drinking.

I kept coming back to a scene where Bridget met up with her friends in a bar and was discussing her ill fated affair with her boss in which they were all drinking what appeared to be Whiskey Sours.

Whiskey Sours were pretty popular in the 1980's and 1990's when this movie took place.  They were, in fact, my drink of choice for a while.  I don't think I have had one in over 20 years and watching Bridget and her friends share this drink made me want one for myself.  So I went to my Bartender Extraordinaire, my husband, Frank, and put him to work.

This is what he created for us.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I.  We had these one night for no reason except that we wanted a drink.  We watched Mike and Molly while enjoying them and then he made us another as we watched Chopped.  You definitely don't want to drink these if you have to leave the house and drive anywhere!!





Wendy's Whiskey Sour
created by Frank for Little ol' me.

1 1/2 oz. simple syrup
1 1/2 oz. fresh lemon juice
3 oz. Canadian Club Whiskey

Place all ingredients into a martini shaker and shake well until combined.  Rub the rim of the glass with the orange slice and dip into sugar that has been spread on a plate.  Fill the glass with ice and pour contents of Martini shaker over the ice.  Place the orange slice onto the rim of the glass and garnish with a Maraschino Cherry.  Print Recipe






18 comments:

  1. Great choice Wendy! I laughed out loud about your VHS difficulties - good for you for making it through the movie! Those drinks look amazing & I think we'll have to make them this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy and I got through that VHS movie for the blind or sight impaired twice!! No wonder I needed a cocktail LOL

      Delete
  2. I love your choice! Good thinking! Bridget would love these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, your VHS experience is so Bridget Jones lol. Glad you like it so much and now I want a drink ... even if it is 10am! Thanks for participating :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Evelyne...I didn't even think of that connection LOL

      Delete
  4. What a fun idea! I'd love to try this sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! I was going to say the same thing as Evelyne - your VHS exploits could have been ripped straight from BJ's diary! So fun, and I love your attitude about the whole thing. Whiskey Sours were a great choice. I hadn't thought about it, but I drank quite of few of them about the time this movie was released, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely idea. Completely classic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The story of your VCR experience is hilarious! ;-) Great inspiration too--I haven't had a whiskey sour in ages. They are definitely a classic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, brought back as many memories as Bridget's Diary did LOL

      Delete
  8. Cheers! I have never made a whiskey sour. I will have to now!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot believe there is something you have not made.....LOL

      Delete
  9. Nice warning! :) And great post! I haven't had one of these in years. Thanks for reminding me about these.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.