Friday, January 2, 2015

Waffle of the Day

This morning I made waffles again.  Yesterday was my first waffle adventure.  I made them using a recipe from "Cooking with the Best", topped them with Strawberries and Homemade Strawberry Syup and they turned out lovely.

1989-10th-Edition-BETTER-HOMES-GARDENS-NEW-COOK-BOOK-Ringbound-recipes

Today I used a recipe from BHG New Cookbook 1989 edition.  It was a lot more work than yesterday's waffle mix.  It dirtied three bowls as opposed to just throwing everything into the blender as I did yesterday.  The batter looked much fluffier but the waffles were no fluffier and I don't think they were as tasty as yesterday's waffles.  To be fair, yesterday I adapted the recipe and used melted butter instead of cooking oil and today I followed the recipe and used cooking oil, so that may have been the difference in the taste.  But that being neither here nor there, I would use the first recipe as opposed to this recipe only because it was much easier and dirtied less dishes.


Lightly fold in egg whites leaving a few fluffs in the batter.

I made this recipe as written in the cookbook except that I added cooked bacon to the batter prior to folding in the egg whites.  I used 6 slices of bacon.  I would double that next time and have written the recipe to reflect that.



Bacon Waffles
adapted from BHG, 1989 edition

1 3/4 c. unbleached flour
1 T. baking powder
pinch salt
2 eggs, whites separated from yolks
1 3/4 c. milk
1/2 c. cooking oil
12 slices bacon, cooked and diced

In a mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt.  In another bowl beat egg yolks slightly. Beat in milk and oil.  Add egg yolk mixture to flour mixture all at once.  Stir just until combined but slightly lumpy.  Gently add bacon being careful not to overmix.

In a small bowl beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.  Gently fold into the batter, leaving a few fluffs of egg white.  Do not overmix.

Pour 1 c. batter onto heated waffle iron and cook according to manufacturers directions.  Print Recipe



2 comments:

  1. Now you've made me hungry for Waffles. Guess it's time to get the iron out and try my hand at some again.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.