Sunday, January 4, 2015

Sunday Gravy

I had posted on my Weekly Menu that we were having Spaghetti with Meat Sauce today and I highlighted Frank's recipe thinking that I was going to leave the cooking to him.  But I still had the bones and one piece of prime rib left from NYE and wanted to use it so I decided to make Sunday Gravy.

Sunday Gravy is traditionally Braciole, Meatballs and Italian Sausage slow simmered in tomato sauce all day long.  The meat is then served with pasta tossed with the remaining sauce on the side.

  1. Sunday Gravy is a slow braise of succulent beef, pork, sausage and meatballs, simmered with plum tomatoes, garlic and basil. It is the byproduct of family 
  2. celebrations had by Italian immigrants after a hard week of work on American soil over a century ago.


I decided to sear up the bones from the Prime Rib and add the remaining slice of prime rib along with some meatballs that I had in the freeze.  I didn't have any Italian Sausage but I had some turkey breakfast sausages in the freezer so I added them as well.  Not quite the traditional Sunday Gravy but it used up some of my leftovers and small packages from the freezer so I was happy.



After searing the bones, I removed them to a plate and cooked the onions and garlic in the same dutch oven, scraping up the brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pan.  I added a good splash of wine and cooked for a few minutes longer allowing the alcohol to cook out and the wine to reduce.  I then added a can of tomatoes, some seasonings, a jar of my homemade marinara and put the bones, prime rib, meatballs and sausages into the sauce.  I brought it to a boil and then turned it to low and let it go.

And let it go, and let it go, and let it go for about 7 hrs.  While I was "Letting it go"  I watched Frozen which I thought was very apropos LOL.  I also used that time to make some Herb Pull-Apart Rolls.  I took this recipe from The Kitchen Aid Cookbook, circa 1987 in accordance with my Cookbook Inspiration theme for this year.  This gives you some idea of how long I have been using and enjoying my Kitchen Aid Mixer!!


While the rolls were baking, I removed all bones from the Sunday Gravy and cut all meat and sausages into bite sized pieces and leaving the meatballs whole.  While preparing the sauce, I cooked the pasta per package directions.

Let me tell you....my house was smelling delicious!!  We spent the day relaxing, watching the snow come down outside as the smells of wonderful food wafted through the house.  Movie after movie on the television and a bottle (or two) of nice red wine.  It is very unusual for Frank and I to have a day alone together and it was very nice.


I ended up with enough "gravy" to dress my pasta.


And fill two containers to go into the freezer for another night.


The recipe for the Herb Pull-Apart Rolls was supposed to make 12.
Mine only made 9 because I am not very good at measurements. LOL


They were not perfect but they were perfectly delicious.


I hope you all had a perfect Sunday Supper.
See you tomorrow!


Herb Pull-Apart Rolls
adapted from The KitchenAid Cookbook

1 pkg. active dry yeast
1 c. warm water (105*-115*)
1/2 c butter, melted and divided
3-3 1/2 c. bread flour
2 T. sugar
1 1/2 t. kosher salt
1/4 t. dried thyme, crushed
1/4 t. Gourmet Garden, dill
1/4 t. Garden Gourmet, oregano

Dissolve yeast in warm water in warmed bowl.  Add 1/4 c. of the melted butter, 2 c. of the flour, sugar, salt and herbs.  Attach bowl and dough hook to KitchenAid Mixer.  Turn speed to 2 and mix for 1 minute.  Continuing with speed on 2, gradually add remaining flour in half cup increments until the dough clings to the hook and cleans the sides of the bowl.  Knead on the same speed for an additional 2 minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic.

Remove dough and spray bowl with cooking spray.  Roll dough ball around  in the sprayed bowl so that all sides are covered with cooking spray.  Cover the bowl with a towel dampened with warm water and let dough rise for 1 hour or until doubled in size.

Punch the dough down and roll into a rectangle measuring 12x9 and 1/4 of an inch thick.  Brush with remaining 1/4 c. melted butter.  Slice dough into six 1 1/2x12" strips.  Stack the strips and then cut into 12 one inch pieces.  Place the pieces cut side up in a cupcake tin treated with cooking spray. Cover with a towel redampened with warm water and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.

Bake in an oven preheated to 400* for 15-20 minutes.  Remove from pans immediately and let cool on a wire rack.  Print Recipe

3 comments:

  1. I have never heard of Sunday gravy but it sounded very good! And those rolls look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow the Sunday Gravy sounds amazing, I can smell it from here. Retro rolls are great as well!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.