Sunday, January 25, 2015

Silver Palate Soup for Sunday Supper

Whew....it was a busy day yesterday.  I am glad that there was nothing pressing going on today.  We lounged around in bed until after 9 am.  Then we got up and I put together tonight's dinner while Frank made us breakfast.

The soup I am sharing with you today is a recipe from the Silver Palate Cookbook that I picked up back in the early 90's.  The Silver Palate was a small shop that started here in Michigan and eventually ended in New Jersey.  The cookbook is crammed with recipes, cooking hints, entertaining ideas, wine pairings, menu ideas....it is a fun cookbook to sit and browse through on a lazy afternoon,


I adapted the recipe to be made in my slow cooker because we wanted to attend the home builders show today and I didn't want to be tied to the stove.  Crockpot meals are always my go to when I am gone during the day and want a good meal ready when I return.  Ting and Melody will be here tonight and Ting is a huge soup fan.

Other than adapting it for slow cooking which deleted some butter that would have been used to saute the vegetables and using less broth I stayed pretty much true to the recipe.  I hope you enjoy it. Happy Sunday everyone.



Peasant Vegetable Soup
adapted from Silver Palate Cookbook

1 1/2 c. dried white beans, soaked overnight
1 c. onion, chopped
3 leeks, white and light green sections, sliced
2 ribs celery, chopped
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
3 parsnips, peeled and chopped
1 t. dried thyme
1  bay leaf
6 c. beef stock
1 ham hock
1/2 of a small head of cabbage, shredded
4 cloves garlic, minced


Place all ingredients in the crock of a slow cooker, placing the cabbage on the top.  Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hrs.  Taste and season with pepper and salt as needed.  Print Recipe


2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I prefer my other bean and ham soup. This was good just not quite as flavorful as the other.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.