Sunday, January 11, 2015

Dreaming about sunshine and blue skies.......

In one month from now I will be sending you photos of sunshine, blue skies, turquoise water and colorful fish.  But for now, all I can do is dream of what is to come.

So to make things a little bit easier and to set our mind on the goal I decided to make us a Key Lime Pie and bring a little sunshine into our house.

I found today's recipe in "The Back of the Box Gourmet".  Michael McLuaghlin compiled all those recipes we love from the back of packages and boxes and had them published in a book on 1991.


In this book you will find the tollhouse cookie recipe, the bisquick impossible pie recipes, the dried onion soup recipes, the heinz ketchup recipes and all those other recipes that bring back memories of Mom in the kitchen....If you are around my age and your mom, like mine, happily jumped onto the processed foods bandwagon in an attempt to make their lives easier.

One of the recipes in this book was from the Borden Company to showcase their sweetened condensed milk.  Now we all have probably tasted and/or made their fudge recipe using this product but I had never made this recipe for Key Lime Pie.  I happened to have a partially used bottle of key lime juice left from another recipe that will be featured later this week so when I was thumbing through this book the key lime pie caught my eye.

I, of course, had to adapt the recipe because the one in the book didn't call for key lime juice but just regular bottled lime juice, but that was the only adaptation I made.



Key Lime Pie
adapted from Back of the Box Gourmet

1 (9 or 10") graham cracker pie crust
6 egg yolks
2 (14 oz) cans sweetened condensed milk
1 c. key lime juice
Heavy cream, whipped 

Preheat oven to 350*.  Beat together egg yolks and condensed milk.  Stir in lime juice.  Pour into the graham cracker crust.  Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes.  Cool and then chill until ready to serve.  Top with whipped cream if desired.  Print Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.