Thursday, January 22, 2015

Let's start with Leftovers

I made Roast Chicken for dinner on Tuesday and knowing I would have leftovers I searched through my cookbooks for a recipe in which I needed cooked chicken.  I flipped through Make Ahead Cooking by BHG and found a section called Leftover Transformation where they give you a recipe for a meal one night and then a recipe to use the leftovers on another night.


The recipe I adapted called for leftover turkey but poultry is poultry so instead of Turkey Taco Salad we had Chicken Taco Salad and it was delicious!  I made a few other minor adaptations, cherry tomatoes instead of plum tomatoes, canned corn instead of frozen because I was out of frozen and I added some avocado slices because I love avocado.  The recipe didn't call for cheese and I didn't have any cheese on hand or I would have, of course, thrown some on there.


A quick and easy weeknight meal incorporating leftover chicken.

Chicken Taco Salad
adapted from BHG Make Ahead Cooking

1 (7oz) package of Spanish Rice mix, made per package directions
1 (5 oz) package of refrigerated Taco Salad Shells, made per package directions
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded or 2 c. leftover shredded chicken
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1 c. corn kernels
3 scallions, white and light green parts, thinly sliced
2 c. shredded lettuce
2 T. lime juice
1 T. extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
dash of cumin powder
1 Avocado, sliced
Sour Cream, if desired


Combine chicken, tomatoes, corn and scallions in a large bowl.  In a small bowl whisk together the lime juice, olive oil and seasonings.  Pour over chicken mixture and toss to coat.

Divide the rice evenly among the taco bowls.  Top with shredded lettuce. Spoon chicken mixture over the lettuce,  Lay 4 or 5 slices of avocado and a dollop of sour cream on the top.  Print Recipe

I will be sharing this recipe at Small Victories Sunday.  What victories are you celebrating this week?

3 comments:

  1. Now this is right up my alley....I love taco salads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good. Next time I will add cheese and black beans. YUM

      Delete
  2. I love taco salad and repurposing leftovers. Thanks for sharing with Small Victories Sunday Linkup and hope you join us again this weekend! New linkup starts at 8pm. Pinning to our linkup board.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.