Saturday, January 10, 2015

My New Year's Wine Resolution.....#WinePW

This month's wine pairing weekend is hosted by Christy of Confessions of a Culinary Diva.  Christy chose New Year Resolutions as our theme for this month's post.  She specifically asked "What wine, region or varietal do you want to try/learn more about in 2015?

This is a perfect theme for me this month.  My husband and I love a dry, red wine and usually stick with Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot out of California.  However, for Christmas one of our daughters sent us a 6 pack of different Bordeaux wines.  Same grape but made in the Bordeaux region.  We are very anxious to try them but I waited until working on this post to open the first one.


The package contained six 2010 Bordeaux, all Gold Medal winners!

We actually started this New Year tradition on NYE.  We had friends over for dinner and I made a Prime Rib Roast served with Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Glazed Carrots and Roasted Brussels Sprouts.
I decided to serve the Chateau Sauman 2010 Cotes De Bourg with the meal.



Included in the package was also a map of the wineries in the region and a write up on each bottle of wine.  Here is what it said about the Cotes de Bourg.  
"Located in the village of Villeneuve, in the Cotes de Bourgh on the Right Bank, ChateauSauman has been in the same family for five generations.  We have found this to be a most reliable source of solid value for many years.  The wine is 80% Merlot, 15% Cabernet Sauvignon and 5% Malbec from vines averaging 35 years of age.
The Prime Rib was seasoned with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper and roasted in a very hot oven for 20 minutes at which time the heat was turned off and the roast was left in the oven, without opening the oven door for 2 hrs.  After 2 hrs. I pulled the roast out of the oven and tented it with foil to let it rest while I made the au jus to go along with it.  Frank decanted the wine as I pulled the roast out so both had about 20 minutes to rest before they were served.



I chose stemless wine glasses to serve this wine as befitted a casual, relaxed dinner with dear friends with whom we do not get to spend as much time as we would like.  We toasted our friendship, saying goodbye to the old year and welcoming the new.


Dinner turned out lovely.  The meat was a little more rare than medium as we all like it.  The wine was smooth and dry and delicious with a hint of spice.  It paired perfectly with the beef and garlicky potatoes.  I think I will be enjoying this wonderful selection of Bordeaux wines we were given.


Happy New Year Everyone....May all your resolutions be as enjoyable as this.

Here is what the rest of the #WinePW gang is resolving to drink in 2015

22 comments:

  1. I love a good Bordeaux and your pairing is superb!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bordeaux is a bit heavy for me, but I bet it paired very well with your meal. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely meal and good wine and great combo. xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. I think we do now as well. We opened a second bottle last night with dinner. Mmmmmmmmmm

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a great way to ring in the New Year! I could definitely resolve to drink more Bordeaux in 2015!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm thinking that this is a resolution that I just might meet LOL

      Delete
  6. This looks delicious, Wendy!! Thanks for sharing with #winePW. I'm jealous of your wine bounty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really Cam....I cannot believe how generous people were to us this year!!!

      Delete
  7. Bordeaux with Prime Rib is a great pairing Wendy! Sound like you made some great memories. Wishing you all the best in 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tradition! Your meal and pairing is right up my alley, and how fantastic that your daughters sent you that six-pack of Bordeaux.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what a beautiful box of wines, you lucky girl! I'll bet the pairing was wonderful together. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was Sue and I am. Hope 2015 is wonderful for you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Keep us posted as you taste through that wonderful selection of wines.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You had me at Bordeaux and Prime Rib. How hot was that hot oven? Enjoy the rest of your red wines. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 500* for the first 20 minutes. Shut it off, Don't open the door for 2 hrs.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.