Thursday, May 18, 2023

Apple Jack Cookies for Mr. Church and the Weekly Menu #MoviesandMunchies

Remember that Apple Jack cereal you enjoyed as a kid?  Bring back happy food memories with these delicous cookies that are an upgraded version of Snickerdoodles.

Apple Jack Cookies

I was inspired to make these cookies after watching the film, Mr. Church.....
Mr. Church

I am hosting this month's event and invited the others to join me in watching the 2016 film, Mr. Church, starring Eddie Murphy.

From IMDb:

"Mr. Church" tells the story of a unique friendship that develops when a little girl and her dying mother retain the services of a talented cook - Henry Joseph Church. What begins as a six month arrangement instead spans into fifteen years and creates a family bond that lasts forever.

I had not heard of this movie but while channel surfing I saw a trailer for this film on Amazon Prime and was intrigued.  I love Eddie Murphy and I love movies about food and family.  I decided that I was going to watch it and asked the others to join me.

This movie takes place in 1965 when Mr. Church (Eddie Murphy) is hired to cook and care for Marie (Natasha McElhone) who has been diagnosed with cancer and her daughter Charlotte (Britt Robertson) who does not know of her mother's diagnosis.

Charlotte comes downstairs one morning to find Mr. Church preparing breakfast, it smells wonderful but 8 year old Charlotte is very happy with her life that she shares with her mom and is not interested in having anyone else involved.  She tells Mr. Church that she eats Apple Jacks for breakfast.

This movie, based on a real life story, shows the relationship developing as Charlotte grows into her teens when her mother dies and into adulthood.  Mr. Church becomes a father figure to Charlotte and a grandfather to her daughter.  

In one scene, Charlotte is leaving to go to college and Mr. Church takes her out for breakfast.  When the waitress arrives, Mr. Church asks if they have Apple Jacks and he and Charlotte enjoy them together before they part.

Apple Jack Cookies

There is tons and tons of food inspiration in this film but those Apple Jack Scenes stuck with me.  A search for recipes containing Apple Jacks took me to the Kellogg's site where I found this recipe that I adapted slightly to make only 2 dozen cookies.

They are surprisingly delicious....This was my first taste of Apple Jacks cereal.....I live under a rock.  I'm going to try them in muffins next.

I loved how Mr. Church, quietly and unobtrusively, taught Charlotte the importance of family, reading, music and food.  Those things are very important to me as well and I hope that I have imparted that to my children.

This Sunday, Frank and I will be going to the ballet.  My Marina gave Frank tickets as a birthday present.  We will enjoy dinner out afterwards.  

On Thursday evening we will be going out to dinner and to the Musical Six with the Bonacorsi's.  I am looking forward to that.  The rest of the week is filled with doc appointments during the day but we will be enjoying dinners at home.  Here is what's on the menu.....

Saturday
Triple Aged Cheddar Cheeseburgers

Sunday
Out for dinner after Ballet

Meatless Monday
Käsespätzle

Taco Tuesday
Grilled Quesadillas

Wednesday
Hot Dogs

Thursday
Out for Dinner before Musical

Fish Friday
Shrimp Noodle Bowl

I will be posting a round up of the recipes and reviews of the other members who join me at the end of the month....Stay tuned!!



Desserts, Cookies, Cereal, Easy, Apples, Cinnamon
Cookies
American
Yield: 24 cookies
Author: Wendy Klik
Apple Jack Cookies

Apple Jack Cookies

Remember that Apple Jack cereal you enjoyed as a kid? Bring back happy food memories with these delicous cookies that are an upgraded version of Snickerdoodles.
Prep time: 5 MinCook time: 10 MinTotal time: 15 Min

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 c. Apple Jack cereal, divided
  • 1 1/3 c. flour
  • 1/2 t. cream of tartar
  • pinch of salt
  • 3/4 c. sugar
  • 1 stick butter, room temperature
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 t. vanilla

Instructions

  1. Place 1/2 cup of the Apple Jack cereal into the bowl of a food processor. Run until finely ground. Transfer to a shallow bowl.
  2. Place the remaining cereal into the food processor. Pulse 2 or 3 times. Set aside.
  3. In large bowl of stand mixer, beat together the butter, sugar, egg and vanilla until fluffy.
  4. Add the flour, cream of tartar and salt to the bowl and, with the mixer on low speed, mix until incorporated. Stir in the reserved coarsely chopped Apple Jacks and beat until combined.
  5. Using a small cookie scoop, form the dough into 24 balls and roll in the finely ground cereal. Place onto ungreased cookie sheets and press down slightly with the heel of your hand.
  6. Bake in a preheated 400* oven for 10 minutes, until edges are golden brown.

Notes

Adapted from a recipe by Kelloggs Cereal

Nutrition Facts

Calories

90.19

Fat (grams)

4.09 g

Sat. Fat (grams)

2.49 g

Carbs (grams)

12.66 g

Fiber (grams)

0.38 g

Net carbs

12.29 g

Sugar (grams)

7.09 g

Protein (grams)

1.01 g

Sodium (milligrams)

34.8 mg

Cholesterol (grams)

16.94 mg

2 comments:

  1. I was hoping someone would do something with apple jacks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much food inspiration in this movie but the Apple Jacks stuck with me

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.