Welcome to Wine Pairing Weekend.......
This month's Wine PW is being hosted by Lori of Draceana Wines. You can read her Invitation Post to learn some fun slang and information about the wines in New Zealand. Lori also arranged with New Zealand Wines to have samples sent to some of us for tasting purposes. We will be discussing this and more during Twitter chat today at 11 AM ET. You can join us by following #WinePW and @nzwine.
I wasn't sure what to expect from New Zealand wines but I do enjoy Australian wines so I imagined they would be similar. I was sent a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc from Mohua winery.
Mohua is a family run winery that makes Sauvignon Blanc from Marlborough and Pinot Noir from Central Otago. Before I talk more about the wine I tasted let's take a look at what the others wrote about......
- Camilla of Culinary Adventures with Camilla will be making Hāngī in a Dutch Oven + Gimblett Gravels Malbec 2017
- Linda of My Full Wine Glass will be posting New NZ wine, old Sicilian dish (#WinePW)
- Jane of Always Ravenous will be pairing New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc Paired with Fresh Flavors of Late Summer
- Cindy of Grape Experiences will show how to Beat the Heat with New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc and Chilled Cucumber Soup with Mint
- Gwen at Wine Predator will be pairing New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc with Zesty Arugula Kale Pesto Pizza and Salad #WinePW
- Jennifer of Vino Travels Italy demonstrates Seeing the Potential of North Canterbury, NZ at Mt. Beautiful Winery
- David of Cooking Chat will be pairing Tomato Caprese Salad with Pesto and New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc
- Pinny of Chinese Food and Wine Pairings will be serving New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc and Pan-fried Chinese Potstickers
- Wendy of A Day in the Life on the Farm will be Discovering New Zealand Wines
- Sandra of Wine Thoughts will be taking A Tropical Staycation with Spy Valley E Block
- Cynthia and Pierre of Traveling Wine Profs will be sipping New Zealand Chardonnay with a view of... The Pyrenees #WinePW
- Rupal the Syrah Queen will be drinking New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc with Grilled Mediterranean Swordfish
- Nicole at Somms Table will be sharing Memories of New Zealand's South Island with Waipapa Bay Wines.
- Our host for this month, Lori of Exploring the Wine Glass, is thankful that Humans May Only Be 5%, But They Make Great Wine #WinePW
I am a great Sauvignon Blanc fan. I love the crisp, clean, acidic taste that pairs so well with seafood and vegetable dishes. I also enjoy just sipping it as I lounge in the pool reading my book.
This Mohua Sauv Blanc did not disappoint. I served it up with wild caught salmon that I smothered in mushrooms, snuggled in asparagus, wrapped in foil and put on the grill. I will be sharing this recipe with you later in the month but before I do I will be ordering up some more of this wine. Available for less than $20 and with ratings of 90, it is an exceptional value and was wonderfully delicious paired with this dish.
Just as a side note and because I am over the top excited about it, I want to mention that I am leaving for California on Monday for a family wedding. While there I am going to visit Dracaena Wines and get to meet Lori in person. I cannot wait. I am being met there by my friend Cam of Culinary Adventures with Camilla. I anticipate having an amazing time.
Let's head on over to chat and learn more about these wonderful wines of New Zealand!!