Saturday, August 10, 2019

Exploring the Wines of New Zealand #WinePW

Are you familiar with wines from New Zealand?  I was not until this month when I was lucky enough to receive a sample from New Zealand Wine Growers.  All opinions and thoughts in this article are my own.


Welcome to Wine Pairing Weekend.......


This month's Wine PW is being hosted by Lori of Draceana Wines.  You can read her Invitation Post to learn some fun slang and information about the wines in New Zealand.  Lori also arranged with New Zealand Wines to have samples sent to some of us for tasting purposes.  We will be discussing this and more during Twitter chat today at 11 AM ET.  You can join us by following #WinePW and @nzwine.


I wasn't sure what to expect from New Zealand wines but I do enjoy Australian wines so I imagined they would be similar.  I was sent a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc from Mohua winery.

Mohua is a family run winery that makes Sauvignon Blanc from Marlborough and Pinot Noir from Central Otago.  Before I talk more about the wine I tasted let's take a look at what the others wrote about......






I am a great Sauvignon Blanc fan.  I love the crisp, clean, acidic taste that pairs so well with seafood and vegetable dishes.  I also enjoy just sipping it as I lounge in the pool reading my book.  



This Mohua Sauv Blanc did not disappoint.  I served it up with wild caught salmon that I smothered in mushrooms, snuggled in asparagus, wrapped in foil and put on the grill.  I will be sharing this recipe with you later in the month but before I do I will be ordering up some more of this wine.  Available for less than $20 and with ratings of 90, it is an exceptional value and was wonderfully delicious paired with this dish.  


Just as a side note and because I am over the top excited about it, I want to mention that I am leaving for California on Monday for a family wedding.  While there I am going to visit Dracaena Wines and get to meet Lori in person.  I cannot wait.  I am being met there by my friend Cam of Culinary Adventures with Camilla.  I anticipate having an amazing time.

Let's head on over to chat and learn more about these wonderful wines of New Zealand!!  



7 comments:

  1. Oh Wow! I hope you have an amazing time here in California! I know I'm partial, but it's pretty amazing place. Have an amazing time with Lori and Cam. Your salmon dish look delicious. I'm actually a little bit familiar with this wine as well -- I used in 8& $20 pairing once upon a time: http://www.winespectator.com/webfeature/show/id/Recipe-Shrimp-Wontons

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great trip! Hopefully filled with wine and food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Sauv Blanc also! From sipping it alone to pairing with a variety of meals! AND I can't wait until Thursday to meet you and Cam!!! So excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As am I Lori. Thanks so much for hosting. See you in a few days.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.