Friday, April 26, 2019

Cherry Sops Ice Cream Shortcake inspired by The Chef's Secret

Tart cherries cooked in butter and wine until it turns into syrupy goodness.  This recipe can be used as a topping for toast or, as I served it, over ice cream shortcake.


This recipe is based on one found in the Chef's Secret Cookbook written in conjunction with the novel, The Chef's Secret by Crystal King.

My friend, Cam of Culinary Adventures of Camilla, wrote that she had read the second novel by Crystal King, The Chef's Secret, and had created a recipe for Crostata di Ciliege that was included in the digital companion cookbook to the novel.

Image result for crystal king novels

I was immediately intrigued because I LOVED King's first novel, Feast of Sorrow. I shared a recipe and review of that novel here.

I loved this novel just as much, perhaps more, than her first.  The fact that it came with the cookbook was an added bonus.  This historical fiction is set in Ancient Rome and revolves around the kitchen in the Vatican and Papal personal chef, Bartolomeo Scappi, who served four different Popes during the Renaissance period.  This chef mentored his nephew, Giovanni to walk in his footsteps. Upon Scappi's death, Giovanni inherits not only his uncles, job and recipes but also a box of secrets.  Giovanni opens this Pandora's box and it leads to a page turning action and adventure story that I didn't want to put down.


There are many intriguing recipes in the digital cookbook that I am anxious to try.  But for today's post I decided on a recipe that the author herself adapted from Scappi's famous cookbook, L'Opera. 

I chose this recipe because I still had some tart cherries in the freezer from our daughter's tree that I had preserved in the fall.  I adapted King's adaptation slightly by adding more sugar as these are sour cherries instead of sweet.  King served her Cherry Sops over toast.  I thought about making a French Toast breakfast with Cherry Sops topping but then decided that dessert was the way to go.

I will be sharing this recipe over at Foodies Read.  Check out what others are reading this month.



#cherries, #sourcherries, #icecream, #desserts,
Desserts
Ancient Rome
Yield: 4 servings
Author:

Cherry Sops Ice Cream Shortcake

Tart cherries cooked in butter and wine until it turns into syrupy goodness. This recipe can be used as a topping for toast or, as I served it, over ice cream shortcake.
prep time: 5 Mcook time: 30 Mtotal time: 35 M

ingredients:

  • 1 lb. fresh frozen tart cherries, pitted
  • 1 1/4 c. white wine
  • 1 stick unsalted butter
  • 1/3 c. sugar
  • Vanilla Ice Cream
  • 4 individual sponge cakes 

instructions:

How to cook Cherry Sops Ice Cream Shortcake

  1. Melt the butter in a skillet over low heat.  Add the cherries, wine and sugar.  Raise heat to high and bring to a boil.  Cook and stir until liquid is reduced and a syrup is formed.
  2. Place a sponge cake into 4 individual serving dishes.  Top with a scoop of ice cream.  Divide the cherry mixture between the four servings, spooning over the top of the ice cream.  

NOTES:

Adapted from a recipe by Author,  Crystal King.
Calories
713.91
Fat (grams)
38.88
Sat. Fat (grams)
18.55
Carbs (grams)
77.75
Fiber (grams)
2.25
Net carbs
75.50
Sugar (grams)
61.88
Protein (grams)
4.58
Sodium (milligrams)
216.98
Cholesterol (grams)
125.51
Created using The Recipes Generator





2 comments:

  1. I am SO happy that you enjoyed the book. And your recipe looks amazing! I am definitely going to have to try it once I see cherries in the markets again. Soon!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.