Monday, December 10, 2018

Piernik (Polish Gingerbread) #EattheWorld #BakingBloggers

Rich, dark gingerbread passed down through generations in Polish families.  A perfect Christmas treat.


This is what you get when Baking Bloggers asks for Gingerbread and Eat the World visits Poland.....


We had our Annual Santa Party yesterday.  Every year Santa arrives at our house for a meal and a visit with all the grands.  It is the one time of the year that all the kids are together ( minus those who live in California) and it is my favorite party of the year.

This year Santa came for breakfast.  It was the perfect meal to share this warm, comforting loaf of Polish Gingerbread, called Piernik.  Not only was it delicious it also covered two events that I am sharing with you today. 


Baking Bloggers is a fun group led by Sue of Palatable Pastime.  Each month we vote on a topic and this month Gingerbread was the winner.  Let's take a look at what other Gingerbread creations are being shared.......

Today is also the day that we get together over at Eat The World, hosted by Evelyne of CulturEatz.  This month, Evelyne invited us to explore the foods of Poland.  Let's see what the others are sharing......


I married into a Polish family so I have shared a ton of Polish recipes but I had never made a Polish Gingerbread, nor had my in laws since I have been in the family.  When I saw that Baking Bloggers and Eat the World were colliding I went on a search for Polish Gingerbread and found this recipe  at a blog called Polish Your Kitchen.  I adapted it slightly and am pleased to share it with you today.


#Polishfood, #quickbread, #ginger, #spice,
Bread, Breakfast,
Polish
Yield: 1 loafPin it

Piernik (Polish Gingerbread)

prep time: 20 minscook time: 1 hourtotal time: 1 hours and 20 mins
Rich, dark gingerbread passed down through generations in Polish families. A perfect Christmas treat.

ingredients:

2 T. honey
1/2 t. ginger
2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. nutmeg
1/2 t. cloves
1/8 t. cardamom
2 T. of your favorite jam/fruit butter/marmalade
zest of 1/2 an orange
2 eggs
9 T. butter
1 c. sugar
1 c. milk
2 c. flour
1 t. baking soda
2 t.  baking powder
pinch of salt

instructions:

Place honey, jam, orange zest, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and cardamom into a small saucepan.  Warm and stir to combine.  Set aside to cool.

In large bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar.  Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.  Add in the cooled honey mixture.

Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Gradually add half to the butter mixture on low speed.  Add half the milk, mix until combined.  Add the remaining flour mixture and then the remaining milk.  Once incorporated, increase speed and mix well.

Transfer mixture to a loaf pan that has been treated with baking spray.  Bake in a preheated 350* oven for 50-60 minutes, until a skewer inserted removes cleanly.

NOTES:

Adapted from a recipe found at Polish Your Kitchen
Created using The Recipes Generator



13 comments:

  1. That looks so good, may just steal or rather borrow the recipe for a potluck. I think it would go over a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool, did not knwo you had Polish in laws! love anything gingerbread so this is a really great Polish Gingerbread. I bet it was a hit at breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great, I am so intrigued to see how this tastes compared to the gingerbread I grew up with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That cake looks dark and spicy and delicious! My kinda Christmas flavours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks fabulous. I love learning about family cultures and traditions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Karen, one of my favorite parts of being in a blogging community.

      Delete
  6. Cake looks so delicious and tempting.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.