Saturday, December 15, 2018

A Holiday Gathering with French Food and Wines #Winophiles

Tender, juicy pork chops in a savory tomato sauce, Cotes de Porc Sauce Nenette, is quick enough for a weeknight dinner and fancy enough for company.


I made this dinner to join the French Winophiles as we celebrate the Holidays in the French Style....



As part of this celebration, we received wonderful samples of several different French wines from the Vignobles & Signatures wineries.  This party is hosted by Lynn of Savor the Harvest.  You can see her Preview Post and learn more by clicking on the site.  All opinions in this post are strictly my own.


I have tasted 2 of the 3 wines that I received for this event.  The first was a bottle of Brut Nature Champagne made of 100% Pinot Noir.  I took this bottle to a Christmas Party at our Dive Shop and toasted with our friends, the Kortes.  This is a bone dry Champagne, just my style.


The next bottle I opened was a Riesling from Rousenbourg terroir.  I thought it would pair well with the Pork in Tomato Sauce I was serving for a dinner and game night with our friends, John and Kirsten.




I was a little worried about the acidity of the tomatoes fighting with the acidity of the wine but this pairing worked quite well together.

This wine is crisp with a lot of minerality.  It toned down the acidity of the tomato sauce and the Cotes de Porc Sauce Nenette was much better with the wine than without, in my humble opinion.

Let's take a look at how the others are celebrating the Holidays French Style.......


And here is my recipe.  Joyeux Noel!!



#porkchops, #tomatoes, #frenchcooking,
Entrees, Pork
French
Yield: 6 ServingsPin it

Cotes de Pork Sauce Nenette

prep time: 5 minscook time: 20 minstotal time: 25 mins
Tender, juicy pork chops in a savory tomato sauce, Cotes de Porc Sauce Nenette, is quick enough for a weeknight dinner and fancy enough for company.

ingredients:

1 T. butter
1 T. olive oil
6 (4-6 oz) bone in pork chops
salt and pepper, to taste
4 T. white wine, I used a French Riesling
2 sprigs thyme
1 c. heavy cream
1 t. tomato paste
1 T. Dijon Mustard
1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes, drained

instructions:

Place the butter and oil in a large heavy frying pan over high heat until sizzling.

Dry the pork chops and season with salt and pepper.  Place into the sizzling butter mixture and brown on each side, 2-3 minutes per side.  Remove to a  pate and set aside.

Add the wine and thyme sprigs to the pan.  Cook and stir, scraping up any browned bits stuck to the bottom of the pan until the wine is nearly evaporated.  Stir in the tomato paste.  Lower the heat and stir whisk in the cream, Dijon Mustard and tomatoes.  

Nestle the chops into the sauce, cover and simmer for 4-5 minutes, until cooked to an internal temperature of 145*.  

Remove the pork to a serving platter and allow to rest for a few minutes before topping with the sauce.


NOTES:

Adapted from French by Carole Clements and Elizabeth Wolf-Cohen
Created using The Recipes Generator

18 comments:

  1. I'm with you Wendy, bone-dry bubbles! Champagne Drappier does it well, and has an interesting story behind their minimal to low sulfite use. And the Blanck Riesling, Mark and I found it food friendly and oh so enjoyable. Tucking away your tested recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pork chop recipe is coming with me to NYC - I will make it one night Gabe and I have a quiet evening together. It's all the right things put together on a plate! Happy holidays, Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you enjoyed the bubbles with friends! Completely as it should be! The pork sounds like a great pairing with the riesling! Happy Holidays to you and Yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post, Wendy. I had to smile, as I made and posted pork with sauce nenette with a Riesling earlier this year during our Alsace Rocks month. Fun to see your take on it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wendy your pork recipe sounds amazing. I drink a lot of Riesling. I look forward to making this recipe to pair with Riesling soon. Thanks for sharing. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the name of this dish! I wonder about its origin. Gotta love a meal that weeknight easy, but fancy enough for company! I really enjoy Drappier Champagne. Sounds like you did too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did Martin and I have no other information on this dish. Found it in a cookbook.

      Delete
  7. I concur with the rest, your pork chops look delicious and the perfect weeknight dinner. I enjoyed the same Riesling so I'll need to hunt down another bottle for the pairing. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking good as always! Seasons Greetings to you and your family Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love a good pork chop recipe, yum!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.