Sunday, March 19, 2017

Shaved Asparagus Salad for #SundaySupper

Our host for this edition of Sunday Supper is Anne of Simple and Savory.  Anne chose a theme of Easy Spring recipes.  Perfect, if you ask me.  I get so excited when Spring begins to spring.  I love all the fresh, bright flavors that we have been denied all winter while trying to eat locally and seasonally.

Asparagus is one of my all time favorite veggies.  We eat it at least once or twice a week while it is in season.  Frank is not as huge a fan as I.  He will eat a few stalks but the rest? Mine, all mine....I live in Asparagus heaven during the Spring.


I got the idea for this recipe from the cookbook by Kurt Beecher Dammier called Pure Food.  I adapted pretty much the entire recipe but wanted to acknowledge him as I wouldn't have thought to make this salad without drooling over the photo of his while thumbing through the cookbook.


I used a base of baby spinach to showcase the shaved asparagus.  Leaving the asparagus raw lends a touch of sweetness to the salad that is a pleasant surprise.  The carrot lends a touch of color and Macadamia nuts add richness and crunch.


This salad is perfect for your Easter Brunch or Dinner.

Shaved Asparagus Salad
inspired by Pure Food

2 T. extra virgin olive oil
2 T. Sicilian Lemon White Balsamic Vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 lbs. asparagus
2 c. baby spinach leaves
2 green onions, white and light greens
1 small carrot, peeled
1 oz. Macadamia nuts, coarsely chopped

Place the olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper in a small jar with a lid.  Shake vigorously to combine. 

Snap off the tough end of the asparagus and discard.  Hold the asparagus by the tips and, using a peeler, shave into long strips.  Reserve the tips.

Slice the green onions in half lengthwise and roughly chop.  Using the peeler shave the carrot into strips.

Place the spinach, asparagus, carrot, green onions and nuts into a large bowl.  Pour the dressing over the greens and toss to coat.  Arrange on a platter and serve.  Print Recipe

More Healthy Spring Recipes


Breakfast

Cakes, Pies, and Sweets

Cookies and Bars

Main Courses

Pastas

Seafood

Veggies and Sides


Sunday Supper MovementJoin the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.

11 comments:

  1. Nice salad Wendy, I really enjoy asparagus a lot too, great idea shaving them like that. Macadamia nuts,what a splurge :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Asparagus is my favorite veggie hands down, love how you put this salad together, looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Asparagus is a favorite of ours too! I haven't eaten it raw but now I shall try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love macadamia nuts and all the ingredients in this salad sound so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy! I just love asparagus and spinach, but must admit I have never had them together! Thanks for this one, it sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd skip the lettuce too. Great switch on textures too!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.