Thursday, May 17, 2018

Peach Bundt Cake with Cardamom Whipped Cream #BundtBakers

My friend, Sue of Palatable Pastime, is hosting Bundt Bakers this month.  She chose the theme Southern Cakes.

When I think Southern food my mind goes first to Catfish....that wouldn't make a very good cake though so I tossed that thought out of my mind. There is, of course, the ever popular Hummingbird Cake, which I have been wanting to try.  But I thought it might be too popular so I'm hoping there are other recipes for it shared today so that I can use one of them as inspiration for mine.

So then I started thinking about other foods that I consider Southern that would work in a cake. Cornbread, Pecans, Mint Juleps, Sweet Tea, Sweet Potatoes, Peaches......Hey!  Peaches!!  Ding, ding, ding....we got a winner!!!


I found this recipe from Strawberry Plum that I adapted for this event.  I loved that it had cardamom in it.  In fact, I loved it so much that I made a Cardamom Whipped Cream to top this cake instead of the glaze suggested.


Other ways that I made this recipe my own was by adding the juice of the lemon as well as the zest, replacing a bit of the sour cream. I also used slightly less amounts of the spices in the cake itself as I was adding the cardamom to the topping.


Let it cool in the pan for about 15 minutes before removing it to a wire rack to finish cooling.


It smelled so dang delicious that I cut myself a piece and ate it warm without any cream.  It was amazing and would make a perfect breakfast with coffee in the morning.


When I served it up for guests as dessert, I included a bed of cardamom cream as well as a dollop on top.  And then I still had a request for more of the cream.  The cardamom and cream are a fantastic combination.

I almost didn't post with Bundt Bakers this month because we are leaving on vacation tomorrow and I was running short of time.  I happily squeezed this cake in on Wednesday morning before I had to leave for food pantry and I'm glad I did.  You will be too, when you try it.  You will find the printable recipe right after the links to the other Southern Delights being shared today.

Bundt Bakers

Southern Bundt Cakes

Come see what we have baked up for you this month!



#bundtbakers, #bundt, #peaches, #whippedcream, #cardamom, #ginger, #sourcream,
Dessert, Brunch
Southern American, Summer
Yield: 1 Bundt Cake
Author: Wendy Klik
Pin it

Peach Bundt Cake with Cardamom Cream

prep time: 30 MINScook time: 1 hourtotal time: 1 hours and 30 mins
This delicious cake is subtly spiced with cardamom and ginger and then graced with fresh diced peaches in each bite. The addition of cream that has been whipped and spiced with more cardamom is sure to make this a summertime favorite.

ingredients:

2 1/2 c. flour
2 t. baking powder
pinch of kosher salt
3/4 t. ground cardamom
3/4 t. ground ginger
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
1 3/4 c. sugar
zest and juice of 1 small lemon
3 eggs
1 t. vanilla
2/3 c. sour cream
3 lg. peaches, peeled, pitted and diced
1/2 pint heavy (whipping) cream
1/2 t. ground cardamom

instructions:

Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, ginger and cardamom.   Set aside.

In large bowl of stand mixer, fitted with paddle attachment, cream together the butter, sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice.  Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.  Mix in the vanilla.

Reduce speed to low and add 1/3 o f the flour mixture until just combined.  Mix in 1/3 cup of the sour cream and then another 1/3  of the flour.  Repeat with remaining sour cream and flour.  Batter will be thick.

Toss the peaches with a Tablespoon of flour and then stir them into the batter.  Spread into a bundt pan that has been treated with baking spray.

Bake in a preheated 350* oven for 50-60 minutes, until golden brown and a skewer inserted removes cleanly.  Remove pan to a wire rack and let cool for 15 minutes.  Turn cake out of pan onto wire rack and allow to cool completely.

In small bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the cream at med low speed until it begins to thicken.  Increase speed and add the cardamom, beating until light and fluffy.

Serve over the cake and pass any extra at the table.

notes

I prefer no sweetener in my whipped cream but feel free to add some powdered sugar if you like yours a little sweeter.
Created using The Recipes Generator




BundtBakers


#BundtBakers is a group of Bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake Bundts with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely Bundts by following our Pinterest board. We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.
Updated links for all of our past events and more information about BundtBakers, can be found on our home page.






13 comments:

  1. Peach and cardamom! Wow! I do not know how I did not come up with it. It sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cake looks quite delish but I’m very intrigued with the Cardamon Cream. I’ll be looking forward to trying this soon. Yum.🌵🐝💜

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cardamom is such an interesting flavor and is underrated when it comes to desserts. I'm so happy that you were able to join in on the fun this month. I would have hated to miss this yummy cake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wowww!! It sounds really good!!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also love cardamom! Such a great combination, Wendy, love it! And so glad that you DID publish this recipe, sounds like a winner for all of us :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful! That cardamom whipped cream piece of cake looks so tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How many eggs? The directions say add eggs one at a time but the list of ingredients doesnot list eggs. Please advise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, thanks so much for letting me know about this. This recipe calls for 3 eggs. I will amend it now. Again, thank you for catching it.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.