Sunday, February 4, 2018

Butter Poached Cod with Lentils #SundaySupper

Welcome to Sunday Supper.  Today we are sharing Simple Dinner Ideas for Two.  This is exciting for me because, after years of cooking for a large family, I am having a hard time adjusting to cooking for just 2 of us.

I often end up cooking the same as I did for the family and then repurposing the leftovers throughout the week.  For instance, last week I made a huge pot of chili.  We enjoyed it the first night along with some cornbread.  We had it another night incorporated into a Chili Mac Casserole.  Another day it went into tortillas and became Chili Burritos for lunch.  The last of it was sprinkled over corn chips, covered with cheese and eaten as a snack while we binge watched The Blacklist.

This is all well and good but in between these meals we want something different and if I make a huge batch then we are right back in the same predicament.  Needless to say, I am looking forward to getting some more Meals for Two ideas.


This meal for two that I am sharing today is not only delicious and easy but is also a one dish meal.  I love one dish meals.  This meal takes two pans, a knife and a cutting board so clean up is easy peasy too.


You can cook your own lentils according to package directions or, to make life even easier, buy a package of precooked from your grocers produce department.


The entire meal, from start to finish is ready in less than half an hour if using precooked lentils and less than an hour if you have to cook the lentils first.


The best thing about this recipe, other than the taste, of course, is that it is written to feed two but can be adapted to feed as many as you want.


Regardless of how many you are feeding, all you are going to find when the meal is over is empty plates.  That does a cook's heart good.


Make sure you stop by and see what the others have cooked up for a Meal for 2 this week. You will find links to those recipes following mine.

Butter Poached Cod with Lentils

4 slices bacon, diced
1 stalk celery, dice
1/2 c. chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 c. wine, I used a white blend
1/3 c. water
1 c. cooked lentils
2 T. butter
2 (4-6 oz) cod fillets

Cook bacon in a saute pan over med high heat, until crisp.  Drain all but 1 T. of the drippings.  Add the celery, onion, and garlic, season with   Cook and stir until vegetables are tender.  Add the wine and cook, stirring to loosen any browned bits stuck to the pan, until slightly reduced.  Add the lentils and water.  Cook and stir, until lentils are warmed through and liquid is sauce like.

Melt the butter in a small skillet over med high heat.  Season the cod with salt and pepper.  Lower heat to medium.  Lay the fillets onto the butter and cook for about 3-4 minutes, until they start to brown a bit, flip and cook another 2-3 minutes, until cooked through and flakes easily with a fork.  Print Recipe

More Simple Meal Ideas for Two

Simple Dinner Ideas for Two

Entrees for Two

Desserts for Two

Sunday Supper Movement The Sunday Supper Movement is committed to bringing our readers delicious recipes that encourage them to gather and eat together around the family table. Search for your favorite ingredients on our Sunday Supper website. Also check out the Sunday Supper Pinterest boards for plenty more ideas and inspiration. This topic was modified 24 minutes ago by Em Beitel.

7 comments:

  1. I'm in the same boat---I still have a hard time scaling down my recipes for 2 or 3! I love, love lentils and this recipe would be perfect for Lent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really a wonderful dish Liz. I'm sure you and yours would enjoy it.

      Delete
  2. I cook for two also and I never have enough leftover for another meal without adding something. I love an easy complete meal for two. I also need more cod recipes! Win, win!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loving this dish! Hits both my targets for the year-eat more lentils & fish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cod is such a great light fish, but it desperately needs flavor. You have totally brought awesome flavor to this party for two!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.