Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Celebrating Spring with Blogger CLUE Society

April's theme for Blogger CLUE Society is Spring Vegetables.  What is Blogger CLUE Society?  It is a fun group of bloggers that get together each month to Cook, Learn, Undertake, and Eat.  Each month we are assigned a member of the group and a theme.  Then we stalk check out the member we are assigned.  Learn about them, go through their recipe files, follow their new posts and find a dish to recreate that fits into the theme for the month.


This month I was fortunate to be assigned Liz, the host of this party and the author  of That Skinny Chick Can Bake.  Now as the title proclaims, Liz's specialty is baked goods....OMG....you have never seen such luscious looking baked goods in your life...Cakes, Pastries, Pies, Chocolate, Cookies......OMG.  Did I already say that???

So naturally I wanted to bake something....I mean what is the sense of being assigned Liz's blog if you aren't going to bake.  I am sure that she thought it was hilarious for me to be assigned her blog when the theme was vegetables....funny, Liz, very funny!!  I could have made a quiche but meh...There were some delicious desserts using zucchini (could I push it and say it was spring squash instead of summer squash??).  Then I was inspired "hey" I said to myself  "rhubarb is a spring vegetable".  I was sooooooooo excited.  I jumped back into Liz's recipe file and went through page, after page, after page, after.....well you get the idea.  I saw not one recipe using rhubarb....Don't like rhubarb Liz??  

"Fahgeddaboudit" I said to myself and started looking at salads and sides.  There were beautiful salads and sides.  Some that I fully intend to go back and make but I would be danged if I was going to be assigned Liz's blog and not bake something!!

So I held my breath and jumped back into the archives....specifically pies this time....perhaps there was a berry pie that included some rhubarb?  If there was, I didn't find it. What I did find was a recipe for Rustic Berry Turnovers that sounded scrumptious!!!  Perfect, I thought, I will just change out some of the berries for rhubarb and I am golden.



I was golden!  And so were the tarts, golden, beautiful and delicious.  Thank you for this wonderful recipe Liz. I just have a teensy little request; a search button on your recipe page because going through your pages and pages of archives made me VERY hungry and caused me to drool all over my computer....WHAT A MESS!!



Other than adding the rhubarb the other adaptations I made were to add more sugar to the filling to offset the tartness of the rhubarb and instead of sprinkling the tarts with sugar before baking I decided to drizzle them with a glaze. YUM!



Raspberry and Rhubarb Rustic Tarts
adapted from That Skinny Chick Can Bake

2 c. flour
14 T. butter, each tablespoon cut in half
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 T. sugar
1 T. cream
2 t. fresh lemon juice
1 t. salt
1 pt. raspberries
1 stalk rhubarb, cut in small dice (about 3/4 c.)
3 T. sugar
1 T. flour
1/2 t. cinnamon
Milk to brush on pastry and seal edges
1/4 c. powdered sugar, sifted
2 T. heavy cream

In food processor, combine flour, butter, egg, sugar, cream, lemon juice and salt.  Pulse until dough starts to clump together.  Remove to counter and gather dough together.  Flatten into two disks and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 20 minutes.

Toss raspberries and rhubarb with the sugar, flour and cinnamon and allow to macerate while the dough chills.

Roll out one of the pastry disks on a lightly floured surface to about 1/8" thickness. Cut out six 4" rounds with a biscuit cutter.  Using a spatula, remove the rounds, one at a time to a parchment lined baking sheet.  Place 1 T. of filling on one side of the round.  Brush edges with milk, fold the other half over the filling and press to seal. Repeat with the rest of the rounds.  Place prepared turnovers in the refrigerator while the oven preheats to 300*.

Brush the tops of the tarts with milk and bake for 30 minutes.  Allow to cool on a rack before icing.

Place the powdered sugar and cream into a small bowl and mix to combine.  Drizzle over cooled tarts.  Print Recipe

Check out all these great Springtime Recipes!!

32 comments:

  1. I am drooling Wendy - can you please send me some of those for breakfast this morning??!! YUMM!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one set aside for you Rebekah with a nice cup of coffee.

      Delete
    2. Excellent - let me hop a plane. :D

      Delete
  2. You did well, Wendy!!! I think I might have some dimmly photographed rhubarb muffins back in the dregs of my blog, but I like these turnovers SO much better! Thanks for your sweet introduction---now I'm craving rhubarb :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so enjoyed being assigned your blog Liz....it was so much fun going through all of your wonderful recipes.

      Delete
  3. Don't these look delicious! I love turnovers and this says "spring" so well - it's almost rhubarb season here so I believe I must try them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lizzy is the best and I would get lost in her blog, too! Wonderful job with these lovely turnovers, Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first time I was assigned Liz' blog back in the Secret Recipe Club days, I was petrified. Her blog is so beautiful and her food so amazing. You did a great job here adding the springtime rhubarb to the pies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It would be so hard to figure out which of Liz's delicious recipes to make. Love the rhubarb twist you added to these turnovers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw your photo float by somewhere today and I wasn't sure what was in the pies, but I knew they looked fabulous!! I wouldn't have known where to start on Liz's blog either.
    Thanks again for the Strawberry Chocolate Pound Cake... it's a complete hit at my house!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore rhubarb and it reminds me of my childhood so much. My mom would simply cook it with some sugar and we would eat it out of a bowl or over ice cream. Love these little hand pies - simply screams spring! Nice choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa, I love rhubarb sauce over vanilla ice cream....YUM

      Delete
  9. Rhubarb is super! I have a hard time waiting for the markets to bring it in....My grandmother made the best rhubarb pie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd have a hard time not choosing a baked good if I had Liz's blog as well. She's so amazing with the oven. :) You made a good choice though. I love turnovers and think the rhubarb was a fantastic addition.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are fans of rhubarb at my house, especially my husband. Love, love, love your little hand pies, Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those tarts looks so fabulous and tempting. :) You picked a fantastic baked treat from a fantastic baker. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like how you think! This a great "vegetable" choice! :) I love that they are handheld, perfect for a spring picnic! My dad always asked for strawberry rhubarb pie when I was a kid, I'm sure he'd be a BIG fan of these. Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL Liz is a raspberry gal! :)

    At least you made something fabulous that you enjoyed!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Funny! I was looking for Rhubarb recipes too and couldn't find any. It is my favorite "spring" vegetable. These sound amazing and I just happen to have a little stash of rhubarb right now after search 10 stores for it. Apparently its still not a "thing" in Palm Springs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You always see rhubarb paired with starwberry, but I'm glad you used my favorite berry instead! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.