Thursday, April 1, 2021

No April's Fool, just an Easter Cocktail and the Easter and Weekly Menu

 It is April Fool's Day but don't let the joke be on you.  Make up some of these candied Kumquats and serve up a Kumquat Martini as a special Easter treat.

Kumquat Martini

I enjoyed mine while perusing my latest Cuisine at Home and deciding my Easter Menu as well as the Menu for the rest of the week.

kumquats in syrup

I had gotten some kumquats from Melissa's Produce and decided that I would candy them.  I kept some whole.  I covered them with water and brought it to a boil, drained, covered with cold water again and repeated the process. After draining for the second time I set them aside.

kumquats

In the same saucepan I heated up 1 cup of water with 1 1/2 cups of sugar.  I brought it to a boil and then simmered it until the sugar is dissolved, about 10 minutes.  Pierce each cooked whole kumquat with a paring knife and cut the uncooked kumquats into slices.  Place all kumquats into the syrup and simmer for another 15-20 minutes.  Remove from heat and leave in the pan on the counter to cool overnight. In the morning return the syrup to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Cool then place into a glass jar and refrigerate for up to 3 months.

Frank created the martini I am sharing with you today using the kumquat syrup and garnishing with a whole kumquat.  I have a few other ideas as well so stay tuned.

Now that the Lenten Fish Fry's have come to an end I have time to consider my Easter Menu. It's a pretty traditional Easter Dinner.  

Easter Menu

We are singing at 11:30 Mass on Easter and will be having dinner about 5 pm.  The rest of the week is going to seem pretty quiet with Lent over and nothing pressing on the calendar.  I'm hoping the weather stays nice and we can get out and do some yard work.  

I have planned my Weekly Menu. Most of the dinners will be repurposing leftovers. I hope to be able to have some dinners around our firepit table.  I hope you have a very happy Easter and that Spring brings us some relief from this pandemic as we are all able to get back outside and more easily social distance.

Saturday
Grilled Hot Dogs
Baked Beans

Easter Sunday
See Large Menu

Monday
Leftovers from Easter 

Tuesday
French Canadian Split Pea Soup (using ham bone)

Wednesday
Kielbasa and Cabbage (using leftover Kielbasa)

Thursday
Date Night (out for dinner)

Fish Friday
Grilled Shrimp Skewers
Macaroni Salad


And now for the cocktail recipe.....Cheers and Happy Easter.  He is Risen.  Alleluia!!!


Cocktails, Citrus, Martini, Vodka
Cocktails,
American
Yield: 2 servings
Author: Wendy Klik
Kumquat Martini

Kumquat Martini

This citrusy, slightly sweet martini is a perfect start to a spring celebration...of course it is perfect during the celebration and as an ending to the celebration as well.
Prep time: 5 MinTotal time: 5 Min

Ingredients

  • 4 oz. vodka
  • 2 oz. kumquat simple syrup
  • 1 oz Grand Marnier
  • Ice
  • Candied Kumquats, for garnish

Instructions

  1. Place the ice in a cocktail shaker.  Add the vodka, simple syrup and Grand Marnier.  Shake until well blended.  Pour into 2 chilled martini glasses and garnish with a whole candied kumquat.

Calories

446.02

Fat (grams)

0.33

Sat. Fat (grams)

0.04

Carbs (grams)

81.01

Fiber (grams)

2.46

Net carbs

78.55

Sugar (grams)

78.39

Protein (grams)

0.72

Sodium (milligrams)

6.14

Cholesterol (grams)

0.00
Created using The Recipes Generator

4 comments:

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.