Monday, October 29, 2018

Egg Free Mini Chocolate Chip Muffins #MuffinMonday

These miniature chocolate muffins chock full of mini chocolate chips are the perfect bite for with your morning coffee.


Happy Muffin Monday everyone.  I'm glad you are here........


Some of you may be wondering why these muffins are egg free when I normally am scrounging for recipes to use up the eggs my laying hens provide.  Well, those ladies are not having any of it right now.  I may get 1 or 2 eggs a week if I'm lucky.  This is their molting season and they need all their energy right now to get ready for winter so no eggs for me.  Nor for any of my friends that have hens. I have checked with them all.


I nearly did not participate in this month's Muffin Monday event hosted by Stacy of Food Lust People Love.  Then, I got a text from the Teen's Religious Ed Director advising us of Confirmation Class held yesterday and inviting us to bring in an All Hallow's Eve treat for the candidates.  I decided that chocolate muffins would be the perfect treat and I think it was the right decision since that little "owl" in the left hand corner stopped by to thank me.


So I started grabbing the ingredients and when I went into the refrigerator for eggs....nothing, nada, zilch.  It seems that Frank used the last lone egg to make a breakfast sandwich for the Teen on Friday.  No worries....I went out to the hen house.  The laying boxes were bare.  I checked in the corners on the floor.  Nope.  I checked out in their yard.  Nothing.  

Fortunately I always have unsweetened organic applesauce in those little pouches for the Angel Face and Teen's lunchboxes.  Did you know that you can substitute 1/2 cup of unsweetened applesauce for the egg?  Yep, works like a charm.  You could probably use sweetened applesauce to and just cut down on the amount of sugar.  Something to keep in mind next time your egg crate is empty.  Should you want to make these with egg, just delete the applesauce and replace with 1 egg.


More Marvelous Muffins

Muffin Monday




#MuffinMonday is a group of muffin loving bakers who get together once a month to bake muffins. You can see all our of lovely muffins by following our Pinterest board. Updated links for all of our past events and more information about Muffin Monday, can be found on our home page.

#muffins, #chocolate, #chocolatechips, #eggfree,
Breads, Muffins, Snacks, Breakfast
American
Yield: 30 miniature muffinsPin it

Double Chocolate Mini Muffins

These miniature chocolate muffins chock full of mini chocolate chips are the perfect bite for with your morning coffee.
prep time: 10 minscook time: 15 minstotal time: 25 mins

ingredients:

1 c. flour
2/3 c. sugar
1/3 c. baking cocoa
1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
pinch of salt
1/2 c. milk
1 t. lemon juice
1/4 c. canola oil
1 t. vanilla
1/2 c. unsweetened applesauce 
2/3 c. miniature chocolate chips

instructions

Mix together the milk and lemon juice in a small bowl.  Set aside.

Whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.  Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. 

Add the oil, vanilla and applesauce to the milk and pour into the well in the dry ingredients.  Mix with a wooden spoon just until combined.  Stir in the chocolate chips.

Line mini muffin pans with paper cups.  Using a small cookie scoop fill each cup with batter.  Bake in a preheated 400* oven for 12-15 minutes.  Let cool in pans on wire rack for a few minutes before removing from pan to cool completely.

NOTES:

adapted from a recipe from Betty Crocker
Created using The Recipes Generator



10 comments:

  1. I've subbed applesauce for butter in baked goods but never eggs. This is a great tip, Wendy! Bet these were very popular with the in crowd!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the teen didn't bring any back home so I guess they were a success Stacy.

      Delete
  2. What a great tip Wendy! I've used a mixture of ground flax seeds and water, but never applesauce. Now I know! Isn't it fun to bake for teens!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guess it's a good thing that you had no eggs because I never knew to sub applesauce for eggs either. Muffins look really moist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been hearing from a lot of bloggers-who-keep-chickens about this year's eggless slump. Great idea to use applesauce, the apple harvest (at least here in Minnesota) is terrific this year.
    Like Karen I've used ground flax seeds as an egg replacement mainly to keep things vegan, but also because I usually have flax seeds in the freezer so it's handy.
    But man, am I craving a chocolate treat now!

    (as I sit here wondering where all the trick or treaters are, and realizing that I bought candy like I've done for the past 20 years and this town does not have the volume of kids that previous neighborhoods have had)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've lived in the country for about 20 years now and Halloween night is the only night I miss city life. Nary a ghost nor goblin has visited our door in all of these years.

      Delete
  5. It is beyond awesome you have your own eggs. I had no idea there is a season for eggs and you can't collect many right now. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, of course in factories conditions are kept as such that the chickens biological clocks don't work.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.