Thursday, May 10, 2018

Lemon Blueberry Bread with a Lavender Glaze #ImprovCookingChallenge

Our Improv Cooking group was challenged to make a recipe that included Lemon and Lavender this month.

No automatic alt text available.

It has been a crazy month around here with our remodeling project, Brunch Week, Burger Month and vacation coming up.  Not to mention all the normal blogging groups with which I post each month. I almost thought that I was going to have to sit out of a couple of them, including this one.


Then yesterday I found myself with an extra few minutes and all the ingredients I would need for a quick bread and decided to jump in.


I even had some Lavender extract on hand that I had bought for Brunch Week a couple of years ago when I made these Lemon Cupcakes with Lavender Frosting.


This is a quick and easy bread that is perfect with coffee for breakfast in the morning.  I made it before lunch and then served it to my carpenter and roofer at their afternoon coffee break. It was  a big hit.


I knew the Lemon/Lavender combo was a winner from previous experience.  The addition of blueberries was amazing.  I loved the burst of flavor in each bite.  Thanks Nichole of  Cookaholic Wife for hosting this fun event each month.  

Here are the other Lemon and Lavender recipes being shared today.  Please stop by and show all of the bloggers some love for all of their hard work.



And here is the recipe for this amazing bread that makes a perfect breakfast or afternoon snack.  Enjoy!!


Yield: 1 loaf

Pin it

Lemon Blueberry Bread with Lavender Glaze

This lemony loaf, chock full of blueberries and topped with a lavender glaze is perfect with morning coffee or as an afternoon pick me up.
prep time: 15 MINScook time: 50 MINStotal time: 65 mins

ingredients

1 1/2 c. flour
2 t. baking powder
pinch of salt
1/3 c. sugar
zest and juice of 1 lemon
3/4 c. ( approximately) milk
1 egg
2 T. olive oil
1 c. blueberries tossed with a pinch of flour
1 c. powdered sugar, sifted
1 T. milk
1/8 t. lavender extract

instructions

Place flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and lemon zest in a bowl.  Stir to combine.  Make a well in the center of the flour mixture.

Juice the lemon into a 1 or 2 cup measuring cup.  Add milk to measure 3/4 cup.  Add egg and olive oil.  Whisk with a fork to combine.  Pour into the well of the dry ingredients.

Mix until just combined.  Stir in the blueberries that have been tossed in flour.  Spread into a loaf pan that has been treated with baking spray.  Bake in a preheated 350* oven for 35-45 minutes, until a skewer inserted removes cleanly.

Let cool in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes.  Remove from pan to wire rack and let cool completely.

Whisk together the powdered sugar and milk.  Stir in the lavender extract.  Drizzle over the cooled bread and serve.

notes

Lavender extract is very potent.  Start with only a 1/8 teaspoon, taste and then add a drop more, if desired.
Created using The Recipes Generator



6 comments:

  1. We both made a quick bread. Great minds thinking alike. Love the idea of adding blueberries though. That would take it over the top, flavor-wise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sid...I'm proud to have my mind compared to yours.

      Delete
  2. Looks wonderful! I wish I had a slice to go with coffee this a.m. Glad you found enough time to join in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow such a delicious bust of flavours. I am sure like you said it will be a hit!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.