Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Introducing Fantastical Food Fight with Polish Deviled Eggs


This is our first edition of Fantastical Food Fight, a new group started by Sarah of Fantastical Sharing of Recipes.  In Fantastical Food Fight we are assigned a food item each month.  This month the food we are all making is Deviled Eggs.


I found this recipe for Polish Deviled Eggs at About.com, written by Barbara Rolek, Eastern European Food Expert.  I adapted this recipe in several ways.


I was making them for a crowd so instead of 6 eggs, I used 18 eggs. You can increase/decrease ingredients as needed to adapt for the amount of eggs you are making.


The original recipe called for ham.  I didn't have any ham in the fridge but I did have bologna and bologna is Polish so I used that.  I had never heard of Polish Honey Cheese but the original recipe said "or any other mild cheese so I used Mozzarella.  I added a little mayo to the recipe as well.


Barbara said that what sets these eggs apart is the Polonaise style bread crumbs with which you top them.

It made for an impressive dish and I was impressed with Barbara's knowledge of the culture. She followed up the recipe with remenisces of Easter Dinners as she was growing up and I enjoyed reading this very much.



Jajka Faszerowany (Polish Stuffed Eggs)
adapted from Barbara Rolek at about.com

18 eggs, hard boiled, peeled and cut in half
12 oz. bologna slices, chopped
1/2 c. Mozzarella Cheese, shredded or cut into pieces
2/3 c. sour cream
2 T. mayonnaise
2 t. yellow mustard
salt and pepper to taste
2 c. dry bread crumbs
1/2 stick butter, melted

Remove yolks from eggs and place in bowl of food processor with bologna and cheese.  Pulse until finely minced.  Add the sour cream, mayonnaise and mustard.  Pulse until smooth.  Taste and season with salt and pepper.  Spoon the yolk filling back into the egg whites.  Place on a baking pan. Combine the bread crumbs and butter.  Pat onto the eggs covering both the yolks and whites.  Place under the broiler until crumbs are golden brown.  Serve immediately or at room temperature. Print Recipe


More Deviled Eggs



14 comments:

  1. These sound like they could be a meal instead of an appetizer! Wow. Thanks for teaching me something is morning, Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they would make a perfect light lunch with a green salad.

      Delete
  2. These look yummy. All those flavors sound great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting take on deviled eggs! Love the breadcrumb topping!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting looking recipe, I'll have to try it! I've seen fried deviled eggs before, but not sprinkled with egg crumbs and baked. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This food fight was the first time I had ever seen fried deviled eggs. I need to try them.

      Delete
  5. Wow Wendy, this sounds really interesting! It's been years since I've had bologna, and now I'm kind of craving it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah...if you were married to a Pole you would always have bologna in the fridge. Fried bologna and onions is one of his go to meals when I'm not home LOL

      Delete
  6. I would totally prefer these to frying them because I really liked the crunch of mine - just not the actual frying part!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.