Sunday, March 13, 2016

Hamballs for #SundaySupper

Today at Sunday Supper we are celebrating Meatballs.  This great theme was chosen by Sue of A Palatable Pastime.  I have lots of meatball recipes on my blog.  Chicken Meatballs in soup,  Bavarian Meatballs, Greek Meatballs, Meatballs with Mushroom Gravy, Salisbury Steak Meatballs, Swedish Meatballs, Teriyaki Meatballs, Shrimp Balls and  Lemongrass Pork Meatballs.


When I was going through my list so I wouldn't duplicate a recipe I noted that I have never shared my Spaghetti and Meatballs or my Sweet and Sour Cocktail Meatballs.  I will be rectifying that very soon but not today.  Today I am sharing with you a recipe that will come in very handy this month when you are trying to figure out what to do with all of your leftover Easter Ham.  Today I am sharing with you Ham Balls served up with a liquor infused sauce.  You're welcome.


I adapted this recipe from one found in Cuisine at Home.  My adaptation has a 1/2 lb. more meat because I ground my own pork using a pound of stew meat that was already in my freezer.  I left the other measurements the same.  The main adaptation was that the original recipe had a Bourbon sauce. We had received a bottle of Apple Cider Moonshine as a gift and I decided to use that instead of the Bourbon.  It was ahhhhhhmazing!!!  The Moonshine I got is homemade by a gentleman who lives locally.  I don't know if you will be able to find any where you live but you should be able to find something similar or you can just use equal amounts of Bourbon.

Ham Balls with Moonshine Sauce
adapted from Cuisine at Home, Issue # 110

1 lb. cubed, cooked ham
1/2 small onion
1 lb ground pork
1 c. fresh bread crumbs
1/2 c. milk
1 egg
2 T. Apple Cider Moonshine
fresh pepper to taste
1 c. brown sugar
1/3 c. Apple Cider Moonshine
1/3 c. honey
1/3 c. white wine vinegar
3/4 t. ground dry mustard
1/4 t. minced ginger paste
1/8 t. ground cloves
1/8 t. chili paste

Place ham and onion into a food processor and pulse until coarsely ground.  Transfer to a bowl and add pork, bread crumbs, milk, egg, moonshine and pepper. Using clean hands, mix just until combined.  Form into 10 equal size balls and place into a 9x13" baking pan.

Place remaining ingredients into a med saucepan.  Heat over med high heat until sugar is dissolved. Pour over meatballs.  Bake in a preheated 300* oven for 1 hour, basting with the sauce several times during baking.  Print Recipe

Meatball Appetizers:
Meatball Soups:
Main Dish Meatballs:
Meatball Desserts:
Plus Buffalo Chicken Meatballs and More Amazing Meatball Recipes  from Sunday Supper Movement

Sunday Supper MovementJoin the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It's easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.

21 comments:

  1. I love the idea of adding Ham! That is a great new spin I must try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm apple cider moonshine with ham! Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your idea of Ham balls. Perfect timing with Easter right around the corner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was really hoping our local store was going to bring in some Easter ham but it just hasn't happened yet. Leftover ham is a favorite at our house and I would have loved to try your ham balls, Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I complain because I can't get some ingredients for certain dishes and then I get reminded that ingredients we take for granted are not available to everyone. Happy Easter Stacy.

      Delete
  5. These are cool, I have never had a ham ball before, yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We always have tons of leftover Easter ham---and I know my hubby would love your hamballs (and me, too!).

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're right Wendy. Ham balls would be a lovely Easter plate...Love the infusion of Moonshine (or Bourbon too!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The flavors of moonshine, honey, and spices sound great in this recipe! Thanks for sharing this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't believe I have ever thought of making meat balls with ham. A great idea and they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are having ham for Easter it is a great way to repurpose the leftovers Paula.

      Delete
  10. These sound wonderful! I can't wait for leftovers from Easter now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How clever. I hope you have a wonderful, Easter, Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea- I would love these with noodles and gravy!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.