Monday, March 7, 2016

Apple Fritters inspired by Death of a Bad Apple

A while back I was lucky enough to win the book "Death of a Bad Apple" by Penny Pike. I had entered a raffle held by Carstairs Considers when Mark, who reviews books, movies, tv shows and music on his blog, reviewed this fun little book.

I had set it on a shelf and continued reading other books that were on my queue but when I finished The Unprejudiced Palate I decided I needed something fun and light to read.  I grabbed this book on my way out the door to sit with Mom Klik while she was in the hospital.  This was the perfect book for something like this because it really doesn't take any brain power and you can put it down and pick it up at will without having to go back and see where you were before the interruption.

Image result for Death of a bad apple by penny pike

This was book three in the series which take place at different food festivals that the protagonist, Darcy, attends with her Aunt Abby who owns a food truck.  It is the same as many other little mystery series that I have read.  Some involve food, some involve knitting or crocheting, some involve book clubs or crafters that travel around for work but they all contain a murder and a group of friends and family who are trying to solve the murder.  They are very unrealistic but perfect for those times when you just want to relax and be entertained.

In this story, Darcy, her Aunt Abby, her boyfriend and her cousin all go to stay at Abby's friend, Honey's, Bed and Breakfast while attending an apple festival. There is much dissension in the area because the GMO's are trying to buy out the area farmers.  Of course, the very first night there is a murder and Honey is under suspicion.  The following day there is another murder and Honey is placed under arrest.  Darcy and her family are determined to clear Honey's name and find the real killer.  Will they be able to clear Honey's name and save all the area farms?  You will just have to pick up the book and see for yourself.


The book was certainly chock full of apple recipes but I decided that apple recipe I was going to make was apple fritters.  My Little Miss is spending a few days so I decided to make her these delicious apple fritters for breakfast this morning.  They were a huge hit!!


Make the batter and add the diced apple.
Fry in hot oil until puffed and a beautiful golden brown.
Roll in cinnamon sugar as they come out of the pan.
Enjoy!!

Apple Fritters

1/2 c. flour
1 T. sugar
1/2 t. baking powder
pinch of salt
3 T. milk
1 egg, beaten
1/2 large or 1 small apple; peeled, cored and diced
oil for frying 
cinnamon sugar for dusting

Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, milk and egg in a small mixing bowl.  Fold in the apples.  Heat oil over med high heat to 375*.  Place cinnamon sugar in a shallow bowl or paper bag. Drop the fritters by spoonfuls into the hot oil.  Allow to puff up and brown, flip over and let other side brown.  Place immediately into cinnamon sugar and roll or shake to cover.  Print Recipe


2 comments:

  1. One of my favorite memories is my mom making apple and corn memories. Love that picture of your little sweetie!!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.