Unlike many people I have not gotten into the Chicken and Waffle craze that is going on in the food kingdom. I love waffles and I love fried chicken but I have never eaten them together and I wasn't sure that it sounded all that appealing to me.
Then, one month for Foodie Extravaganza, my friend, Cam of Culinary Adventures with Camilla, posted a recipe for Mashed Potato Waffles. Hmmmmm.....mashed potato waffles....I can see now where you might want to pair fried chicken with waffles, especially if they are made from potatoes.
Not being quite the genius that Cam is, I stole her idea. Of course, I did change it up some to make it my own. I decided to use sweet potatoes and instead of fresh herbs and garlic I used savory spices like cardamom, nutmeg and cinnamon.
I made my normal fried chicken recipe and served it alongside of the waffles that I topped with a Cinnamon Peach Compote.
I have to say, I enjoyed this much more than I thought I would and Frank really liked it as well. We thought the peach compote made this dish but I think it would also be delicious with fried apples.
Sweet Potato Waffles
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 2" chunks
1/4 c, buttermilk
3 T. butter
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. cardamom
1/4 t. nutmeg
1/2 t. salt
1/2 c. flour
1/2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. baking soda
Place the potato chunks into a steamer insert of a pot filled 2" of water. Steam until fork tender, about 15-20 minutes. Place the steamed potato, butter, cinnamon, cardamom and nutmeg into a food processor and puree until smooth. Allow mixture to cool. Place dry ingredients in a small bowl, whisking to combine. When potato puree is cooled, add buttermilk and eggs to the processor and pulse until combined. Add dry ingredients and pulse once or twice to incorporate. Remove batter to bowl that had held the dry ingredients and stir once or twice with a spatula. Set aside while the waffle maker preheats. Treat waffle iron with cooking spray and follow manufacturers instructions.
Top with Peach Compote and serve with Fried Chicken, if desired.
Look at all these great Waffle recipes!!Appet-affles
- Cheese & Pear Waffle Appetizer by The Freshman Cook
- Waffled Polenta Crisps with Caponata by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Buckwheat Waffles Benedict by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Honey Bacon Waffles by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Churro Waffles by A Nerd Cooks
- Coconut Flour Waffles with Spiced Pineapple Syrup by Aloha Flavor
- Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Chocolate Pecan Waffles by Rhubarb and Honey
- Orange and Dark Chocolate Waffles by Cookie Monster Cooking
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Stuffed French Toast Waffles by The Spiffy Cookie
- Potato Waffle Eggs Florentine by Eats Well With Others
- Pumpkin Waffle Sandwiches with Apple Butter and Melted Brie by Go Go Go Gourmet
- Brown Sugar Chicken and Waffles by GirlCarnivore
- Cauliflower Cheese Waffles by Food Lust People Love
- Chicken and Spiced Sweet Potato Waffles by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Hummus Waffles with Sausage and Sun-Dried Tomatoes by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Mac and Cheese Waffles with Honey Bunches Chicken by Baking In A Tornado
- Sweet & Savoury Sausage & Apple Waffles by Fuchsia Freezer
- Sweet Potato Waffles with Horseradish Sauce by Our Good Life
- Apple Pie Waffles by Spiced
- Banana Split Waffles by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Homemade Waffle Cones by Eva Bakes
- Neapolitan Waffles by Dinner at the Zoo
- Pumpkin Pecan Waffles by Feed Me, Seymour
- Pumpkin Pie Waffle Cake by Cookie Dough and Oven Mitt
- Red Velvet Waffles with Bourbon Cherry Syrup & Cream Cheese Drizzle by Cooking In Stilettos