Wednesday, June 10, 2015

It's picnic time for Blogger's CLUE Society


I am excited about this month's CLUE assignment.  I was assigned to The Mom Chef of Taking on Magazines.  The Mom Chef takes recipes from magazines of all sorts and makes them.  She then gives her honest opinion on the recipe and tips on what she would do differently, if anything, the next time she makes the item. I spend a lot of time going through food magazines and Mom Chef understands that compulsion.

The theme for this month was picnics because, after all, it is June and we should be picnicking away. How were we to know that the weather in Michigan was going to be in the low 50's!!!  Sheesh....ok I will quit bellyaching and get on with my recipe choice.

When I think picnics, I think hamburgers, hot dogs, fried chicken, submarine sandwiches.  So I wanted to find a side dish or a salad to take with me on that picnic.  I found this wonderful recipe for White Beans with Bacon and Rosemary that Chef Mom took from Fine Cooking Magazine. I love Fine Cooking Magazine as does Chef Mom.  The only food/cooking magazine I like better is Cuisine at Home.



Fine Cooking served this recipe with fish but Mom Chef thought it would make a great side for any meat dish.  I love white bean salads and make this one with olive oil and basil quite often.  You know what else I love....bacon...so when I saw this recipe I was very intrigued.  It was served warm in the original recipe but I saw no reason why it wouldn't be just as delicious at room temp and I was right. Salads without creamy dressings are perfect for picnics and this will be a great addition to your next outdoor gathering.


I served mine with burgers on Homemade Buns.


Interested in joining Blogger's CLUE Society?  Just let me know and we will invite you to join.

White Bean, Bacon and Rosemary Salad
adapted from Fine Cooking via Taking on Magazines

3 slices bacon, fried crisp and crumbled
1 small sweet or red onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 t. fresh rosemary, minced (or 1/2 t. dried)
3 T. white wine
1 (19 oz) can Cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 c. chicken broth

Saute onion in 2 T. of the bacon grease until soft, about 3 minutes.  Add the garlic and rosemary and cook, stirring for one minute more.  Add the wine and cook for a few minutes until the pan is nearly dry.  Add the beans, bacon and chicken broth. Cook stirring occasionally for 5 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.  Serve warm or at room temperature. Print Recipe


Look at all the great Picnic recipes!

28 comments:

  1. These look so good! I had totally forgotten about them, so thanks for the reminder. It's good to find another Fine Cooking fan too! I've gone through Cuisine at Home once or twice and you're right, it's an awesome publication as well. They're all good in their own ways, though, huh. Thanks for the kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks absolutely DELICIOUS!! I discovered a somewhat similar white beans with rosemary at Zoe's Kitchen recently but have never made anything like that at home. We all love baked beans as a picnicky side dish - I will have to give these a try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm...beans and bacon are such a perfect combo! Plus, rosemary with white beans is a favorite as well. I'd love these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We always (nearly) serve some kind of beans with our grilled burgers and this would be a lovely change - must try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're heating up quite nicely here in Indiana---I'm happy to send some high 80's your way! And I'm loving this bacony bean salad---perfect side for any picnic or home cookout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Liz, I wrote this earlier in the month before I left for my vacation. It was 90 here yesterday.

      Delete
  6. Perfect for a picnic....and as a side dish anytime! I can see this coming to our table soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a perfect salad for a picnic - I adore a great bean salad. Excellent choice!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE a good white bean salad! And with bacon, yes please! Cannelini are a favorite so I will have to try this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's funny, we never made beans but then realized our one year old loves them so beans make an appearance quite often. I'm guessing she would love garlicky beans :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our 9 mos old granddaughter loves beans too. We always have canned beans on hand so that she can have a quick protein filled snack.

      Delete
  10. I had to smile at your comment on the weather. I had the same experience. The day I made my picnic recipe it was scorching but it rained the next day! Watermelon salad on a rainy day is a hard sell! :) I could eat this salad in any kind of weather, though. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bacon and rosemary are a great pair, especially with beans. I love this salad, Wendy! Excellent choice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I could put this in a pita and call it a meal!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Low 50's?? BBrrr!!! I'm with you though... our San Diego weather has been grey and foggy for weeks (it does this every spring), so out of picnic weather too. This salad though?? I'm not going to wait for a clear day. I'm thinking lunch tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bacon? Top that with rosemary! I love a bean salad too and will have to check out your basil one.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.