Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Hamburgers on Homemade Buns with Curry 'Chup Mayo as a Bonus #HotSummerEats

I had burgers on the menu for last night's dinner.  I didn't have any hamburger buns in the house but Tuesday's are Zumba days and then I stop to see Mom so I thought I would just grab some buns while I was out.  That was on Monday night when I pulled out the burger from the freezer. Tuesday morning I awoke with sinus drainage and sore ears and throat.  I'm hoping it is just allergies and nothing worse than that because we are scheduled to go on a dive trip to North Carolina this Friday and the last thing you want to do is dive with a head cold.  Frank picked me up some Claritin D and I took it before bed last night.  I am feeling much better this morning so please keep your fingers crossed for me.

Wow....did I get off track there or what...back to dinner.  I didn't feel up to leaving the house so I decided to make my own hamburger buns.  I have never done this before but now that I have I don't know that I will ever buy them from the store again.  I adapted the recipe from one found on the King Arthur Flour site.  The only thing I really adapted was that I used both all purpose flour and wheat flour in the buns.  I was very pleased at how they turned out.

Now, if you are a regular visitor to my blog, you know that this week we are celebrating summer with a huge party called #HotSummerEats.  This party is hosted by Cam of Culinary Adventures with Camilla and let me assure you that when it comes to throwing parties...Cam is the best!!  She not only invited us but she also invited a boat load of sponsors, all of whom are hosting a huge giveaway for our readers.


One of the guests to this party is my friend, Amy, of Amy's Cooking Adventures.  Well, actually, I consider Amy more family than friend because I consider her MIL a sister.  She is married to the son of my dear friend, Kirsten, whom you know pretty well if you are familiar with my blog.

Boy, do I keep going off track here or what?  Maybe it is the Claritin D.  Anyway, back to the party...Amy, being the smart cookie that she is, decided that to celebrate #HotSummerEats, she was going to do an entire week of Hamburger Recipes.  I told you she was smart!

Yesterday, Amy shared a delicious sounding Curry Burger, you should certainly take a look at that wondrous masterpiece!  Reading her post made me remember that I had received a bottle of  Chai Curry 'Chup from Intensity Academy as part of this event.  Since I was making burgers anyway I decided to steal the idea from Amy and I created a Curry Mayo to slather on my burgers which, by the way, were on homemade buns.  Oh, did I already mention that?  Were you impressed?  I impressed myself LOL.


Now are you impressed?
I can't believe how nice they turned out.
It wasn't me....trust me....it was the recipe.


The curry mayo was simply 2 parts mayo to 1 part Chai Curry 'Chup.
I started out with a lot less Curry 'Chup but it was milder than I thought it would be.
At a 2 to 1 ratio, Frank was able to slather it on with abandon and he is very spice sensitive.
Feel free to add more to your personal tastes.


I didn't bother with any other condiments on my burger.
The cheese, veggies and Curry Mayo made for the perfect flavor profile.

Curry 'Chup Mayo

2/3 c. Mayo or Miracle Whip (I'm personally a Miracle Whip fan)
1/3 c. Chai Curry 'Chup (or more to taste)

Mix it up and spoon it on! 

Hamburger Buns
adapted from King Arthur

3/4 c. lukewarm water
2 T. butter, room temperature
1 egg
2 c. All purpose flour
1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1/4 c. sugar
1 1/4 t. salt
1 pkg. quick rise yeast
3 T. butter, melted

Place all ingredients, except melted butter, in large bowl of stand mixer fitted with dough hook.  Mix and knead until a soft, smooth dough forms.  Remove from bowl and form into a ball.  Spray bowl with cooking spray, return dough ball, turning to coat, cover with a warm wet towel and let rise until doubled in size.  2 hrs or so.

Gently deflate the dough and form into an 8" long log. Cut the log into 1" portions.  Form each portion into a ball and place on a parchment lined baking pan.  Gently press each ball down so that it is approx. 3" across.  Cover with a warm, wet towel and allow to rise for another hour or until the rolls are noticeably puffy.

Brush the rolls with half of the melted butter and bake in a preheated 375* oven for 15-18 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from oven and brush with remaining melted butter.  Place on racks to cool.  Print Recipe





10 comments:

  1. That sounds delicious!! I love that you have a "real life" connection to Amy too, how cool!! :) Congrats on making homemade burger buns, and falling in love. I discovered homemade buns awhile back and have gotten out of the habit of stocking them, but for awhile I was making a big batch at least every other week, and we'd freeze half for the next week, and use the first half for that week... SO yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will try those buns for sure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really surprised at how easy they were to make Paula.

      Delete
  3. Awww...thanks for the shoutout, Wendy! I love that you combined the Curry 'Chup with mayo! I need to make burgers again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're going to turn into a burger Amy LOL....hey great idea for your next theme party. You could be a hamburger and Mike is already a hot dog LOL.

      Delete
  4. Hope your feeling better. That curry 'chup sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, for sure, allergies Debra. As soon as the Claritin leaves my system I turn into a mess.

      Delete
  5. I love the sound of your sauce! Curry is a winning for me and bravo making your own buns!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.