Wednesday, March 15, 2023

Enjoying Turkish Coffee while flipping through The Essential Guide to Turkish Wines #WineDownWednesday

Deep, dark and aromatic this Turkish Coffee, made without an ibrik, is worth the extra work when you want to serve up something special with dessert.

Turkish Coffee and a Coffee Table Book

I enjoyed mine while flipping through The Essential Guide to Turkish Wines written by one of my blogging friends Andrea LeMieux of The Quirky Cork.
Coffee and The Essential Guide to Turkish Wines

I belong to several groups that blog about wine.  Many of us have a lot in common, in addition to our love of wine.  Many of us love to cook and are food bloggers.  Many of us love to travel and share our experiences.  Many of us love to read and some of us are inspired into the kitchen with each book we open or movie we watch.

Camilla of Culinary Cam, shares all of these interests with me, so when she invited me to join a new Facebook group she is calling Wine Down Wednesdays, I jumped right in.  Camilla gives this explanation of the group.......

For lovers of wine and books! We decided to start a casual monthly, online book group to read books that inspire us to drink and pair wines. The host will choose a book and a Wednesday to discuss however he/she wants. Read the book and join  the conversation. Posting a recipe or wine pairing is totally optional.

Cam chose Andrea's book for the first discussion as we all like to share the love and support fellow bloggers in their endeavours.

 

The Essential Guide to Turkish Wine

I ordered up the book and it is GORGEOUS.  It is filled with wonderful photographs of each winery and Andrea tells their stories beautifully.  Andrea also gives us a complete history of this ancient wine region and an explanation of why Turkish wines are so difficult to find in other countries.  They have very strict laws regarding alcohol advertising and sales.

Cam hosted a zoom meeting with the members of Wine Down Wednesday, including Andrea, so we could discuss the book with her and learn the background of her desire to write this book.  Unfortunately, I was unable to attend this meeting as it didn't start until Midnight here in Michigan.

Coffee Grounds

Speaking of  Michigan, we also have very stringent laws regarding the import of wines to our State.  I was unable to source a bottle of Turkish wine to open and sip as I paged through this lovely book.  I thought about making some Turkish Delights to nibble on while thumbing through but decided to do my waist line a favor and make Turkish Coffee to sip instead.

Prep for Turkish Coffee

I had never had Turkish Coffee, but I have enjoyed Espresso on occasion.  Turkish coffee is much better in my opinion.  Why?  Well, you see that star anise sitting on top of the coffee and sugar.....that is why I enjoyed this coffee more than Espresso.

Traditionally, Turkish Coffee is made in a vessel called an Ibrik and served in small, tall, thin cups.  I don't have an Ibrik nor the cups so I made do with a small pan and coffee cup.  This is to disclose that I am not sure if this coffee I made tastes anything like real Turkish coffee but I can assure you that if you like strong, bitter, brew.....this coffee is for you.





Yield: 1 serving
Author: Wendy Klik
Turkish Coffee

Turkish Coffee

Deep, dark and aromatic this Turkish Coffee, made without an ibrik, is worth the extra work when you want to serve up something special with dessert.
Prep time: 15 MinTotal time: 15 Min

Ingredients

  • 2 T. finely ground coffee (powder like consistency)
  • 1 t. sugar
  • 1 star anise
  • 1 c. cold filtered water

Instructions

  1. Place the coffee, sugar and star anise in a small saucepot and stir to break up any clumps.
  2. Whisk in 1 cup cold, filtered water and place the pot over medium heat.
  3. Let cook, without stirring, until it comes to a simmer and foam develops on top. Carefully, scoop out the foam and place into your cup.
  4. Let the mixture slowly come to a full boil and remove from heat, carefully pour the coffee into your cup leaving the grounds and star anise behind.

Notes

Adapted from a recipe found at Tea for Turmeric

Nutrition Facts

Calories

19.54

Fat (grams)

0.17 g

Sat. Fat (grams)

0.01 g

Carbs (grams)

4.68 g

Fiber (grams)

0.15 g

Net carbs

4.53 g

Sugar (grams)

4.19 g

Protein (grams)

0.18 g

Sodium (milligrams)

12.03 mg

Cholesterol (grams)

0 mg

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.