Friday, December 23, 2022

Copy Cat In and Out Burger and a Book Review

We don't have In and Out Burgers in Michigan but I have heard of them and when they were mentioned several times in the final Eve Ronin novel, Movie Land, I had to do a Google search and see what all the fuss was about.

Movie Land
In this novel, as Duncan is preparing to retire and Eve is preparing to allow herself to be portrayed in a television series they are embroiled in another mystery that involves power struggles, politics and corruption.  

I can see how these novels would easily be turned into a television series having been written by Lee Goldberg, who is not only an author but has worked extensively in television and films producing Diagnosis Murder and Monk among others.

I did enjoy this series as I enjoy action/thriller movies and shows that are unbelievable but still entertaining to watch. 

Copy Cat In and Out Burgers

 In this final book the restaurant of choice for Eve and Duncan is In and Out Burgers.  I found a copy cat version on the web and printed it out to make for dinner one night.  Then I got hit by a truck and spent 3 weeks in the hospital.  Upon my return home, I handed Frank the recipe and requested he make it for dinner.  He was happy to comply and even took photos for me so I could write this blog.

The recipe called for 1/4 lb burgers but, since there were only 3 of us, Frank made 1/3 lb burgers.  From what I can tell the secret to these burgers is the schmear of yellow mustard while frying them and the sauce which is similar to a Thousand Island Dressing.

Stop by Foodies Read and see what the other foodies are reading and cooking this month.




Entrees, Beef, Burgers, Copycat,
Entrees
American
Yield: 3 servings
Author: Wendy Klik
Copy Cat In and Out Burgers

Copy Cat In and Out Burgers

In and Out Burgers are hugely popular. This copy cat recipe is a great way for those of us that do not have access to them to find out why.
Prep time: 10 MinCook time: 5 MinTotal time: 15 Min

Ingredients

  • 1 lb. ground beef
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 3 T. mustard
  • 6 slices American Cheese
  • 3 lg. tomato slices
  • Iceberg lettuce leaves
  • onion slices
  • 3 hamburger buns
  • 1/4 c. mayonnaise
  • 2 T. ketchup
  • 1 T. sweet pickle relish

Instructions

  1. Divide meat into 3 equal portions and form into patties. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
  2. Combine the mayonnaise, ketchup and relish. Set aside.
  3. Heat a griddle or large skillet over medium high heat. Lay the buns, split side down, onto the pan or griddle and cook until toasted. Set aside.
  4. Place the burger patties onto the griddle or pan. Cook until well browned and crusty, 2-3 minutes. Spread 1 Tablespoon of mustard onto the top while they are cooking. Flip and top each with 2 slices of cheese. Cook for 1-2 minutes longer.
  5. Spread sauce onto the bottom of each bun. Place a cooked patty onto each bun, top with a slice of tomato, onion and lettuce and serve.

Notes

Adapted from a recipe found at Butter your Biscuit

Nutrition Facts

Calories

820.64

Fat (grams)

59.82

Sat. Fat (grams)

21.77

Carbs (grams)

30.35

Fiber (grams)

1.9

Net carbs

28.45

Sugar (grams)

9.18

Protein (grams)

39.02

Sodium (milligrams)

1508.58

Cholesterol (grams)

157.19

6 comments:

  1. Next time you're out here, we will need to do an In-n-Out run for sure!!! Frank did a fabulous job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen. We are scheduled to be in CA for a few days on either end of our Maui trip next month but don't know that I will have time to meet up with anyone other than my brother and his family who I haven't seen since COVID. 1/13-1/17 and 1/24-1/27. I was worried I wasn't going to be able to make it but the Physical therapists thinks I will be walking without any assistance by then. Woohoooooo.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed my book...but I really wrote to say how much I admire your dedication to replicating the "In-n-Out" burger... even after getting hit by a truck!! I think the real trick to their burger is their seasoning and their home-made buns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lee. I enjoyed the entire series and look forward to reading more of your novels. I will have to do more research on those buns. I am going to be in CA next month and will try an in and out burger so I know what the heck I'm talking about.

      Delete
  3. There is an In-N-Out burger right next to LAX on Sepulveda. It's the busiest outlet in the chain. People stop there during layovers! Dont worry, though, there are In-N-Outs all over SoCal...and a few scattered elsewhere in California.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, flying into LAX next month and will have to check them out.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.