Join the Festive Foodies as we celebrate Mardi Gras......
I had a Mardi Gras Party last weekend. When guests arrived we handed them a Hurricane. There was a platter of Oysters on the half shell, a chafing dish of Sweet and Sour Sausage, and a plate holding a cheese ball and some crackers. Those recipes are going to be shared at a later time but today I want to share this amazing salad.
I was very excited when Heather of Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks invited us to join her in celebrating Mardi Gras. I had planned this get together and knew that I would have several recipes from which to choose to share with you today.
I had thought about making a Muffuletta Sandwich for the party but I knew I wanted to serve Shrimp Etouffee and Chicken Gumbo as the main courses. I thought about serving the sandwich with the appetizers but they are pretty filling and I didn't want to kill everyone's appetite before dinner.
Then I found a recipe for a Muffuletta Salad in my new Cuisine at Home. I adapted it to fit the ingredients I could find and it was the perfect side dish.
Check out these other delicious Mardi Gras recipes
- Cajun Chicken Pasta from Jolene's Recipe Journal
- Chicken and Sausage Gumbo from The Spiffy Cookie
- Fastelaynsboller from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- King Bundt Cake from The Redhead Baker
- King's Cake Cinnamon Rolls from Kate's Recipe Box
- Mardi Gras Monkey Bread from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Muffuletta Salad from A Day in the Life on a Farm
- Oven-Baked Mardi Gras Muffaletta Empanadas from Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Shrimp and Grits from Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Shrimp Creole from Caroline's Cooking
- Shrimp Dirty Rice from Palatable Pastime
- Shrimp Etouffee from House of Nash Eats
This salad is a perfect accompaniment for any of these delicious savory recipes. Start with a Hurricane, follow up dinner with one of the above desserts and you are sure to Pass a Good Time!
#MardiGras, #salad, #antipasti, #entertaining, #holiday,
Salads, Side Dish
Yield: 12-16 servingsPin it
This salad takes all of the ingredients you love from the Muffaletta sandwich and puts it into a bowl.
- 1 loaf cheese focaccia bread, cubed
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1/3 c. red wine vinegar
- 1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 T. Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 t. Dried Italian Seasoning mix
- 1/4 t. crushed red pepper
- 1 lb. deli Antipasto Delight Salad (a mixture of vegetables, peppers and olives)
- 1/2 lb. hard salami, diced
- 1/2 lb. mortadella, diced
- 1/2 lb. provolone cheese, diced
- 1 pt. grape tomatoes, halved
- Toss the bread with the olive oil. Spread onto a baking sheet and place under the broiler for 2-3 minutes to toast. Set aside to cool.
- Place the vinegar, oil, mustard, Italian herbs and crushed red pepper into a jar with a lid. Shake well to combine.
- Place the antipasto, salami, mortadella, provolone, and tomatoes in a large bowl. Add the toasted bread. Toss, drizzle with dressing and toss again. Transfer to a serving bowl or platter.
adapted from a recipe found in Cuisine at Home, Issue #127
Property of A Day in the Life on the Farm
Created using The Recipes Generator