Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Red White and Blue Bundt #July4Recipes

Our friend, Ellen of Family Around the Table, suggested we all post a #Patriotic theme on our blogs today to help our readers prepare for the upcoming July 4th Holiday.  Ellen suggested we share table settings, decoration tips, DIY projects and, of course, recipes.

Here is Ellen's invitation:
July 4th, 1776 is the date the Second Continental Congress adopted The United States Declaration of Independence effectively ending British rule. Now we celebrate our independence each year on July 4th with fireworks, picnics, parades and backyard barbecues across our nation. Join these 11 bloggers as we celebrate and share some patriotic themed recipes!


We have been super busy lately, with no end in sight, so there has not been much DIY except for yard work.  I don't have any new decorations to share and my table settings have been sporadic.  But....there is a always a recipe to share.


This is an easy, peasy recipe from Betty Crocker, using a boxed white cake mix and some food coloring.  You make the cake per package directions, divide the batter, and add the color.  Put the red in the bottom, then add the white and then the blue. No need to swirl, just stick it in the oven.


It comes out of the oven looking like a normal bundt cake.  Let it cool and then decorate it up to your liking.  The original recipe had you coloring your frosting red white and blue as well.  I just melted up some canned, prepared frosting, drizzled it over the cake and added sprinkles.


When you slice it you have a beautiful red white and blue celebration for your Holiday table.  My colors were very subtle as you can see.  Should you want deeper, richer color you will need to add much more food coloring.  I think an overabundance of food coloring changes the flavor of the food. That might all be in my head but I take it easy with the food coloring, none the less.


Make sure you scroll past my recipe to find links to all the other fun, festive, holiday ideas being shared today. I have also linked this post to Celebrate 365.  Check out all the fun posts there as well.

Red White and Blue Bundt
source: Betty Crocker

1 white cake mix
water, egg whites and cooking oil as listed on the box
red and blue food coloring
1 can prepared white frosting
Patriotic sprinkles

Make the cake as directed on the box.  Remove 2 cups of the batter, placing each into it's own bowl. Tint one cup red and the other blue.  Pour the red tinted batter into the bottom of a bundt pan that has been liberally treated with baking spray.  Pour the white batter directly onto the red.  Pour the blue batter in a ring around the center of the white batter.  Place in a preheated 325* oven and bake as directed on the box, until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake removes cleanly.

Remove the cake from the oven to a wire rack and let cool for 10 minutes before turning it out of the pan to the rack to cool completely.  

Remove desired amount of frosting from the can to a glass measuring cup. (I used about half a can). Place in the microwave for 30 seconds, until melted.  Place the cake onto a serving platter and drizzle with the melted frosting.  Top immediately with sprinkles. Print Recipe

More July 4 Recipes

13 comments:

  1. Thank you for participating in our patriotic posts event. This Bundt cake is so festive! I love that it starts with a mix too. Perfect for last minute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was last minute too and it worked out perfectly Ellen.

      Delete
  2. What a festive cake! I should try it in my star bundt pan!!! That would be so much fun! Thanks for sharing at Celebrate365!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invitation Carlee. I hope to visit the others and comment throughout the week.

      Delete
  3. OH,this cake looks delicious and amazing !! I would try it !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This cake is so fun and really pretty! So perfect for the 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This cake is so festive! Perfectly patriotic! PINNED!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad I saw this again... it would be so fun for our 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband's birthday is on July 3, I think I will make this for his birthday this year!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.