Monday, June 26, 2017

Cinnamon Rhubarb Muffins #MuffinMonday

It's rhubarb season again and what better way to use up some rhubarb than with some light fluffy muffins with a cinnamon sugar topping?


These muffins that I'm sharing with you on the Muffin Monday are adapted from a recipe found at Fine Cooking. They were written as a sour cream muffin but I used half sour cream and half ricotta cheese since that was what I had in the refrigerator.  I also used almond extracts as I was out of vanilla.  They were absolutely delicious and lasted exactly 2 hours once they were baked.  I took a few to a friend's house and the rest were gobbled by me, Frank and our Little Miss.

Cinnamon Rhubarb Muffins
adapted from Fine Cooking

2 c. flour
3/4 c. sugar
2 1/2 t. baking powder
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. baking soda
pinch of salt
1/2 c. sour cream
1/2 c. ricotta cheese
1 T. milk
1 stick butter, melted and cooled
2 eggs
1 1/2 c. small dice rhubarb
Cinnamon Sugar for sprinkling (1 t. cinnamon + 1/4 c. sugar)

In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder cinnamon, baking soda and salt.

In med. bowl whisk together the sour cream, ricotta, milk, butter and eggs. 

Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients all at once into the well.  Stir just until combined then fold in the rhubarb.

Divide the batter between 12 cup muffin tin that is treated with baking spray or lined with paper cups. Sprinkle generously with Cinnamon Sugar.  You can make your own cinnamon sugar using the amounts indicated above.  Store any extra in a sealed container or baggie in a dry location.

Bake in a preheated 400* oven for about 20 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the center removes cleanly.  Print Recipe

More Marvelous Muffins


#MuffinMonday is a group of muffin loving bakers who get together once a month to bake muffins. You can see all our of lovely muffins by following our Pinterest board.

Updated links for all of our past events and more information about Muffin Monday, can be found on our home page.

10 comments:

  1. Ooh, I love the substitutions you made to the original recipe, Wendy. And I'm all for any muffin that includes our favorite rhubarb. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have yet to actually play with rhubarb in my kitchen! These look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebekah....I have a ton of it. Wish you lived closer, I would be happy to share.

      Delete
  3. My sis loves rhubarb. I'll pass this recipe along to her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a recipe where you can use what you have on hand! I love a fluffy muffin, and the rhubarb is just the perfect foil for the sweet muffin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I spent so much time in the US and never tried rhubarb. Definitely won't find it here so I will just have to look at your muffins and wish.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.