Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Tossed Homemade Macaroni Noodles for #FoodieExtravaganza,#CooktheBooks and #FoodiesRead2016

cookthebooksOur Cook the Books selection for this month was An Unprejudiced Palate by Angelo Pellegrini.  This selection was chosen by Simona of Briciole.  The submission is not due until the end of the month so you still have time to join us.  Here is the link to the invitation.

  Simona, like Pellegrini, is an immigrant to the US from Italy.  Simona arrived as an adult.  Pellegrini arrived as a child.  This book was written in the 1940's so attitudes were different then they are today.  That along with the difference in cultures gave me, as the reader, the impression that Pellegrini was an arrogant, condescending snob that should have stayed in Italy or gone back to Italy since he apparently hates everything and everyone that is different from his home country.

Image result for unprejudiced palate

My grandmother was an immigrant to this country,  She arrived as a 15 year old coming over on a ship all by herself.  She did not know the language. She landed on Ellis Island, just like Pellegrini and had to go through the same process as he.  My grandmother thanked God every day that she was lucky enough to live here in the land of opportunity.  She shared her culture but as a fond memory not as a comparison to how much better things were in Europe and how we as Americans are spoiled, ignorant brats.  She recognized that the reason she and all other immigrants come to this country is exactly because we are all spoiled brats.  We have been given great opportunities that were not available in other countries and that, unfortunately, are still not available in some.

It wasn't even that I disagreed with Pellegrini on certain issues.  I do agree that we, as a society, are not hard workers when it comes to manual labor, that we are a wasteful society who, for the most part, has never known hunger or poverty.  But that is not true of all Americans anymore than it is true that all immigrants come across as ungrateful and self centered.  I do believe that we should never hunt just for sport, that if we kill it we should use it for the purpose for which it was meant.  I do believe that we should grow our own food and support the small, local farmers.  I do believe that we should have to work for the things we want and need.  I also believe that most of us do this daily and I resent the author's implication otherwise.

I am not naive enough to think that the things he says are not true of some.  I have 6 sons and daughters from other countries who have lived in my house and become part of my family.  My Marina, from Russia, came to me after leaving another home in the USA where they ate fast food every single day of the week.  They even had a schedule of which fast food restaurant for each day and would place their orders before going to school.  This is very wrong, there is no denying that, but I also think it is the exception and not the rule.

Okay, I am done with this rant.  In case I wasn't clear, I did not care for this author at all, sorry Simona.  I did find  parts of the book interesting and enjoyed hearing his preparation of different foods.  I especially liked the recipes using parts of animals or vegetables not commonly eaten here in the USA except by people, like me, who were taught how by their grandparents or parents who immigrated to this country. 


Then as luck would have it our Foodie Extravaganza theme this month was Noodles.  I decided I was going to make homemade macaroni noodles which would also fit the theme for Cook the Books.  Foodie Extravaganza is a fun group that each month celebrates a National Food Holiday.  Whoever is hosting for the month goes to The Nibble, researches what foods are being celebrated and chooses one for our theme.  This month's host is Lauren from Gate to Plate whose blog brings together agriculture and cooking.  Take that Pellegrini!!

Okay, maybe I wasn't done ranting LOL.  I decided that I was making homemade pasta and that I was doing it in the most American way I could.  Using my Kitchen Aid Mixer and a recipe from Kitchen Aid for Tossed Macaroni that we ate as a main meal just as another slap at Pellegrini.  Okay, now I am done ranting.  For real this time......


I don't know why it has taken me so long to use this attachment for my kitchen aid.  I have had it for nearly 20 years.  It is so easy peasy and the pasta was perfect.  I may never buy boxed pasta again.  I adapted the recipe for Tossed Pasta slightly.  I didn't have any frozen peas so I used frozen mixed vegetables in the sauce.

I am also linking up with Foodies Read 2016.. a book club where we share the books we read involving food and any recipes that we might be inspired to make from them and a new link up with Weekend Cooking.

Weekend Cooking hosted by www.BethFishReads.com


Basic Egg Noodle Pasta
adapted from Kitchen Aid

4-5  eggs (7/8 cup)
1 T. water
3 1/2 c. flour

Place eggs, water and flour in bowl of mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Turn to low speed and mix mix for 30 seconds.  Attach dough hook and knead on low for 2 minutes. If dough is still too dry add another egg and knead for 2 minutes longer.  Hand knead dough for about a minute then cover with a dry towel and allow to rest for 15 minutes before extruding through the pasta attachment.  Let set on a dry kitchen towel for no longer than 4 hrs before cooking in hot boiling, salted water to desired tenderness.  Print Recipe

Tossed Macaroni
adapted from Kitchen Aid

1 recipe Basic Egg Noodle pasta made into Macaroni Noodle, cooked al dente
1 (15 oz) carton ricotta cheese
1 stick butter, melted
1/2 lb bacon, diced
1 (10 oz) pkg frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
1/3 c. parmesan cheese
pepper to taste

Cook bacon until crispy, add vegetables and saute 2 or 3 minutes. Drain fat. Place cheese and butter into a large bowl stirring to blend.  Add in hot pasta and toss to cover.  Add bacon and vegetable toss again.  Taste and season with pepper.  Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve immediately. Print Recipe

Posting day for Foodie Extravaganza  is always the first Wednesday of each month. If you are a blogger and would like to join our group and blog along with us, come join our Facebook page Foodie Extravaganza. We would love to have you! If you're a spectator looking for delicious tid-bits check out our Foodie Extravaganza Pinterest Board! Looking for our previous parties? Check them out HERE.

Let's see what the other's have made.





44 comments:

  1. Someday I'm going to get a stand mixer so I can make things like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just way too lazy to make my own pasta. I loved your rant!! I admit I am a spoiled American brat now. It hasn't always been this way! The book sounds interesting though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was interesting when I could get past my dislike of the guy LOL

      Delete
  3. I don't know when I am going to get my Kitchen Aid finally...hopefully sooner than later and when I do, I will be with it all day long and as much as possible. I never knew we could use the Kitchen Aid to make Pasta. So that is one purchase less. Thanks for sharing Wendy and I loved your rant :D I love that you made your own homemade macaroni <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Georgina, the kitchen aids really are worth their weight in gold.

      Delete
  4. Oh my! Sounds like an interesting book. I think I'll take your word for it and not bother getting my blood boiling ;-) The pasta looks delicious though. I have never made my own macaroni, but do enjoy making pasta occasionally. The tossed macaroni looks delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carlee. I had so much fun making it which helped to calm me down LOL

      Delete
  5. Ooh, I just got a Kitchenaid last month. Definitely going to look into these attachments. Your pasta looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are going to love your kitchenaid Tara. It is a workhorse and then when you start adding attachments you could use it nearly every day.

      Delete
  6. I've always wanted to make homemade macaroni. What attachment did you use? Do you mind sharing a link to it?? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lauren, My kitchenaid is over 20 yrs old. I can't find the attachment pasta package I have but I am sharing the closest I could find. http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-Mixer-Stand-Mixer-Attachment-KPEXTA/dp/B0168ESHSS/ref=sr_1_28?ie=UTF8&qid=1457092883&sr=8-28&keywords=kitchen+aid+pasta+attachement

      Delete
  7. I am so glad I'm not the only one to hated the author of the book! AHH! He grated on my nerves!

    I love that you made homemade macaroni noodles! I desperately want to kitchenaid pasta attachment now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised, Amy, at how strong my feelings of dislike were towards him. I had a lot of fun making the macaroni. I think your boys would love to help.

      Delete
  8. I completely agree with you about what I call Pelligrini's "The Prejudiced Palate" -- he's a self-satisfied, male chauvanist boor. I wrote about it here:
    http://maefood.blogspot.com/2008/05/prejudiced-palate.html

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went and read your post Mae and it got my blood all a boiling again LOL

      Delete
  9. Nothing like a good rant! Cheers from Carole's Chatter!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never made homemade pasta before. Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never made pasta myself before.

    I plan on starting this book for Cook The Books as soon as I finish my current read.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds really great. I didn't know there was an attachment to make macaroni. I'm going to have to look into that. I love the veggies and ricotta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathleen. My Kitchenaid is old. When I did a search for the attachments for my friend, Lauren, I couldn't find the set I have but linked her to the closest I found. You can see my response to her above

      Delete
  13. I've always wondered about getting the pasta attachment for my standmixer...but I'm afraid it'll just be another one of those expensive kitchen things that I don't use! And your rant actually kind of makes me curious to read this one! Ha! Though I can understand your frustrations. Sounds like a lot of bad stereotyping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should read it Trish and then join us at Cook the Books and let us know what you think.

      Delete
  14. Uh oh, I am running behind (as usual) and just about to start it--now I am nervous! Lucky it's short, perhaps!? ;-)

    Your macaroni looks fabulous Wendy--I am always so impressed by homemade pasta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a bad book, per se, Deb. I just didn't much care for the author's personality. I am anxious to see what you think.

      Delete
  15. I used to make pasta but then I got lazy! And my thoughts on the book are similar to Trish's -- I understand your reaction but you also made me curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MY response to you is the same as Trish's as well. Please read it and share your thoughts at Cook the Books.

      Delete
  16. My husband keeps suggesting we get the pasta kitchenaid attachment but I never think we'd use it. Some day... some day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me 20 yrs to use mine and now I am kicking myself that I didn't do so sooner.

      Delete
  17. Woah! I made Egg Pasta from scratch for a couple of days simply because my 1kg flour was going to expire soon! And I guess the fastest way to get rid of it was to make pasta!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Okay, you have me laughing. I simultaneously loved and loathed the book. Loved the food, naturally. Loathed the author. I am going to have to figure out how to make macaroni without that attachment. Thanks for posting, Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That author got a lot of us going I think Camilla. I will be looking forward to your post.

      Delete
  19. Maybe without the book you would have not sued your Kitchen Aid's attachment, so "ranting" had good consequences ;) Thank you for contributing to this edition of Cook the Books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting Simona and you are quite right, I probably am in Pelegrini's debt now......Perish the thought LOL

      Delete
  20. Funny, my impression was slightly different, that he did very much appreciate America, but hated seeing waste and indifference to good food. I've only ever made the large "handkerchief" pasta, because it's so easy, but now maybe I'll splurge on one more appliance - a Kitchen Aid with that pasta attachment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's what keeps our world and our Cook the Books club interesting is everyone's different impressions and inspirations from the same exact reading material. I am glad you enjoyed the book and I am glad that it inspired me to use my pasta attachment.

      Delete
  21. I have always wanted that attachment. Really good discussion of the book. I think consensus was, "Not so much..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems so Debra but for some reason I seem to have gotten way more ticked off then the rest of you....Perhaps I was just due a vacation. LOL.

      Delete
  22. Well I agree that parts of this book are tough to get through but I enjoyed his philosophy of cooking from the kitchen garden which is what my grandmoter, an immigrant from Italy, swore by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agreed with that part too. In fact, I agreed with him a lot. I just didn't care for his delivery.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.