Monday, August 26, 2019

Chocolate Chip Sourdough Muffins #MuffinMonday

These small batch muffins are made using the discard from your sourdough starter.  A delicious way to start the day.


Happy Muffin Monday......


Stacy of Food Lust People Love hosts us as we share muffin recipes on the last Monday of each month.  I especially like participating during the school year because muffins are such a perfect portable breakfast that I can hand to the Teen as she runs out the door having slept until the very last moment.


I tried making these up in my heart shape silicone pan.  They didn't look much like hearts when they came out but they still tasted amazing.


There are many reasons why I like the recipe that I am sharing with you today.  Of course one of them is that they contain chocolate chips.  Who doesn't love chocolate chips?  

I also am happy to be able to use my sourdough discard.  Something in me rebels against throwing away food that can be used.

Lastly, it is a small batch so, even though they are delicious and tempting, I cannot over indulge.  Unless I make them when nobody else is around and eat them all before they get home.....not that I would ever do such a thing....really, I wouldn't!  Really.

Let's see what magnificent muffins the others are serving up on this Monday morning........

Muffin Monday

#MuffinMonday is a group of muffin loving bakers who get together once a month to bake muffins. You can see all of our lovely muffins by following our Pinterest board. Updated links for all of our past events and more information about Muffin Monday can be found on our home page.




#muffins, #chocolatechips, #sourdough, #smallbatch,
Bread, Muffins, Breakfast, Dessert, Snacks
American
Yield: 6 servings
Author:

Chocolate Chip Sourdough Muffins

These small batch muffins are made using the discard from your sourdough starter. A delicious way to start the day.
prep time: 10 Mcook time: 25 Mtotal time: 35 M

ingredients:

  • 3/4 c. sourdough discard
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 c. milk
  • 1 T.  canola oil
  • 1/2 t. vanilla
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 c. flour
  • 1/4 c. sugar
  • 1/2 t. cinnamon
  • 1/2 c. chocolate chips

instructions:

How to cook Chocolate Chip Sourdough Muffins

  1. Combine the sourdough discard, egg, milk, oil and vanilla in a large bowl. 
  2. Sift together the flour, salt, sugar and cinnamon.  Add to the sourdough ingredients and mix until combined.  Fold in the chocolate chips.
  3. Divide between 6 muffin cups and bake in a preheated 400* oven for 20-25 minutes.
Calories
230.75
Fat (grams)
7.92
Sat. Fat (grams)
3.14
Carbs (grams)
37.09
Fiber (grams)
1.65
Net carbs
35.44
Sugar (grams)
17.18
Protein (grams)
4.73
Sodium (milligrams)
72.47
Cholesterol (grams)
31.51
Created using The Recipes Generator




7 comments:

  1. What a wonderful way of using the sourdough discard, Wendy! I'm with you on hating to throw food away. I've even been know to use the whey from cheesemaking to bake bread. And, of course, everyone loves chocolate chips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have made whey bread before too. It is so delicious. I served it with my lasagna made with homemade ricotta and mozzarella cheese. Great minds Stacy.

      Delete
  2. I can get into the idea of making a small batch. I gave 2/3 of my batch away to my "fan club" (people who get to eat my extras). I still have some starter so should find a good use for it as you have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have found making muffins from the discard is a great way to go.

      Delete
  3. Small batch and sourdough at the same time sounds fantastic. And who doesn't like chocolate chips? Cute pan too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You nailed it this time ... there's a carton of discard from the sourdough starter just waiting for me. Maybe I'll do it. (Only hesitation: last time I tried discard muffins they were a disater)... best
    mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.