Monday, November 28, 2016

Savory Sage Muffins #MuffinMonday

Happy Muffin Monday everyone.  Thanks to Stacy of Food Lust People Love, we celebrate the  last Monday of every month by baking and sharing muffins.


I almost didn't join in this month because I got busy and forgot I had put my muffins in the oven until I started smelling them.  I was afraid that they had overcooked and was going to feed them to the chickens but I decided to try one first.


I broke one open, took a bite and...oh my word....it was delicious.  Crisp on the outside, tender on the inside with a cheesy hint of sage in every bite.  I am so glad that I decided to try them before they became chicken food.

I adapted a recipe that I found online from Cabot Creamery.  I reduced the recipe to only make a dozen muffins and I served them up alongside Turkey Pot Pie.  One of my favorite things about Thanksgiving is using the leftovers for Turkey Pot Pie the next day.  YUMMMOOOOO.  

Please stop by and visit my friends who are sharing muffins today.  You are sure to find the perfect match, whether you are looking for breakfast, lunch, dinner or a snack.  I love that muffins are so versatile and they travel so well. They only take minutes to make and can easily be baked and handed out to your loved one's as they leave the house in the morning or taken to work and enjoyed by colleagues. 


Start with mixing together your dry ingredients.  Then whisk together your wet ingredients and fold it into the dry.  Stir in any add ins, scoop into your tins and bake for 15-20 minutes. Everyone will be impressed with your homemade muffins and you can just sit back and enjoy the glory.


You can flavor your muffins with any add ins that you like.  You can make them sweet or savory.  I had some fresh sage left from my Thanksgiving recipes and knew that it would be delicious in a muffin and would pair beautifully with my dinner made of leftovers.

Savory Sage Muffins
adapted from Cabot Creamery

1 3/4 c. flour
1/4 c. corn meal
2 T. sugar
1 T. baking powder
pinch of salt
1 c. sour cream
1/2 t. baking soda
1 lg. egg
1/3 c. milk
1 c. shredded cheddar jack cheese blend
2 T. chopped fresh sage

Combine the flour, corn meal, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.  Whisk together the sour cream, baking soda, egg and milk in another bowl.  Make a well in the dry ingredients and fill it with the wet ingredients.  Stir just until combined.  Add the cheese and sage to the muffin batter.  Divide the batter between 12 muffin tins that have been treated with cooking spray or lined with paper cups. Bake in a preheated 425* oven for 18-22 minutes, until nicely browned.  Print Recipe

More Monday Muffins


#MuffinMonday is a group of muffin loving bakers who get together once a month to bake muffins. You can see all our of lovely muffins by following our Pinterest board.

Updated links for all of our past events and more information about Muffin Monday, can be found on our home page.

10 comments:

  1. I can just smell those baking now, Wendy! Sage seems to be a big component of the poultry seasoning which I use in stuffing so it smells like Thanksgiving and Christmas to me. Best these were great alongside turkey pot pie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sage smells like the holidays to me as well Stacy and they were perfect with the pot pie.

      Delete
  2. Sage is one of my favorite tastes. So I'll bet I will love these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How perfect for turkey pot pie! We actually have some fresh sage in or garden, which I used for our stuffing, and I absolutely love the flavor. Combining it with cheese and corn meal sounds totally tasty. I'd totally forget I have something in the oven unless I have my kitchen timer around my neck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wendy,
    I have to set the timer at home because it's just too distracting. At work I do a little better, somehow remembering that I've got something simmering on the stove, but keep the timer for all the things I bake. It's too easy to close the oven door and think "well, that job done!" and move on to the next task.
    I've got some fresh-frozen sage leaves from a friend which would be wonderful in these. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh these would be lovely alongside leftover pot pie, great idea!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.