Friday, November 11, 2016

One Room Complete (well, almost), A Book Review and the Weekly Menu

I keep thinking things are going to calm down around here but evidently it's going to take a while. Let me update you on what has been going on around here.  This house is a very nice house.  I am actually liking it better than my previous home.  There are things we are changing to make it our own but for the most part it is wonderful.

I have shared with you some of our window treatments, the dishwasher and our master closet.  We have done outside work, installing the electric fence for the hounds and building a home for our hens. We have done a lot of ordering and our flooring has arrived and is awaiting installation that is scheduled to begin on the 16th of the month.  The window treatments for the great room should be in and installed next week as should the bookcases we ordered for either side of the fireplace.


This past week was spent removing the window and doorwall that led into the sun room from the great room and master bedroom. This room is now complete except for replacing all the windows which is slated for the spring.  For the winter months we will be covering the window with the 3M plastic sheeting.  Our goal is to turn this sun room into a four season room.

You can see the variance in color of the new planks.  We used the same color stain as the previous owners and were concerned, so we phoned him.  He assures us that within a few months the fresh wood will season to the same color as the existing wood.

The drywall guy will be here tomorrow and work through the weekend repairing the window and doorwall area in the great room and master suite so the painter can come in.

Image result for crash and burn by lisa gardner

While I was staining the wood planking for the four season room, I finished listening to Crash & Burn by Lisa Gardner.  This book was narrated by Christina Traister and Mikael Naramore.  I think I would have enjoyed this book much more had I read it myself.  I thought Christina did an okay job but Mikael made everyone sound angry even when that should not have been the emotion projected.

The story, itself, started off slow and I was afraid I wasn't going to like it but in about chapter 3 or 4 it caught my attention and kept it.  It is the story of a woman who has suffered multiple brain traumas in the past few months including the most recent from a car crash in which she is found screaming for Vero, a young child for whom she is searching.  Thus starts a story of traumas that go far deeper than brain injuries.  I like Lisa Gardner's work but I think in the future I will stick to reading them on my own.

This week is going to be another busy one.  Today we are going shopping and taking advantage of the veteran's discounts being given by some of the stores.  We are buying stools for the kitchen and shelving for the four season room.  We may also buy an IRobot vacuum system?  Do any of you have one?  Thoughts?  Critiques?

We are meeting up with Nicole and Pierre for lunch while we are out.  Tomorrow the drywall guy arrives bright and early.  We are going to see A Christmas Carol at a local theatre and then we are having a dinner party with some of our diving friends.

Sunday the drywall guy will be here again.  We sing at 9:30 Mass and then are watching the Angel face while her mama works.  We are all meeting up at Amy's house for dinner to celebrate the anniversary of Melody's christening.  Each year Amy and Doug throw a little celebration for her baptism day.

Monday, the drywall guy should be finishing up.  I have a meeting at church in the evening so Frank will be on his own for dinner.  Tuesday we will run any errands that need running because starting Wednesday the floor installers will be taking over the house for a week or so.  

Enjoy the Weekly Menu.  Please stop by each day as I post photos, recipes and updates.  I love spending time with you.

Saturday-Dinner Party
Italian Wedding Soup

Sunday
Dinner at Amy's

Monday
Frank on his own

Tuesday
Kielbasa and Sauerkraut
Mashed Potatoes

Wednesday
Asian Glazed Chicken 
Steamed Rice
Stir Fry Veggies

Thursday
Spaghetti with Meat Sauce
Tossed Salad

Friday
Cranberry Cod (moved from last week)
Roasted Potatoes
Mixed Veggies






2 comments:

  1. Your weekly menu looks yummy as usual! Hoping you get everything done in time for the holidays!!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.