Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls for #BreadBakers

Our host for this month's Bread Bakers is Shireen of Ruchik Randhap.  Ruchik Randhap translates to Delicious Cooking.  Shireen is a Mangalorean from Karnataka, India who is currently living in Dubai.  Her blog is filled with delicious foods from the area where she was born and raised and is a delight.  You really need to go check it out.  As our theme, this month, Shireen chose Cacao, Cocoa or Carob in any form.  Shireen preferred that we make a yeast bread but would accept quick bread entries.

I was intrigued by the thought of a chocolate yeast bread because my first thoughts upon hearing the theme went directly to quick breads or muffins.  A google search came up with a delicious sounding German Chocolate Cinnamon Roll recipe from Fleischmann's Breadworld.


I put together the dough and set it aside to rise for a couple of hours.


Once risen, it easily rolled into a rectangle


Smear it with butter.


Sprinkle it with Brown Sugar and Cinnamon.


Roll it into a log and cut into 12 equal pieces.
Place into two greased cake pans.


Let grow again before baking.


Allow to cool in the pan before removing to racks.
Place parchment under the racks before drizzling with the frosting.
I made the frosting while the dough was in it's first rise.
I knew that I was going to omit the nuts as my sister in law is allergic
When I went to grab the coconut to toast I found my cupboard bare.


So the German Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls became simply Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls.
The icing is almost custard like and would have been perfect with the addition of nuts and coconut.
Without those additions, I would have been better off with just a simple glaze.



Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls
adapted from Fleischmann's Breadworld

2 1/4 t. active dry yeast
1/4 c. warm water (105*)
3/4 c. milk
1/2 c. butter, divided
3-3 1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. sugar
1/3 c. cocoa powder
pinch of salt
1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
1 t vanilla
3/4 c. brown sugar
2 t. ground cinnamon

Place water in large bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment.  Add the yeast and let set for 5 minutes.  Heat the milk and 1/4 c of butter to 100-110*.  Add to the yeast mixture along with 1 c. of the flour, the sugar, cocoa powder, salt, egg, yolk and vanilla.  Beat for 2 minutes until very smooth. Switch to dough hook and add flour, half cup at a time, until the dough forms a soft ball.  Knead on low speed for 8-10 minutes. Dough will be smooth and elastic.  Place into a greased bowl and let rise in a warm spot for about 2 hrs, until dough is doubled.

Punch dough down and place on a lightly floured surface.  Roll dough into a 15x10" rectangle. Spread the remaining 1/4 c. butter over the dough and then combine the brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over the buttered dough.  Roll up from long sides, like a jelly roll and cut into 12 equal pieces.  Place 6 pieces into each of two 8" cake pans that have been sprayed with cooking oil.  Cover pans loosely with plastic wrap that has also been sprayed with cooking oil and allow to rise for an hour.  Bake in a preheated 350* oven for 25-30 minutes or until  lightly browned.  Allow to cool in pans before removing to rack for frosting.

Ice with desired topping.  You can find the German Chocolate topping at the Fleischmann's link above or you can use my Cinnamon Roll Icing, if unable to use coconut or nuts.  Print Recipe


Breads with Cocoa, Cacao or Carob in any form
BreadBakers Breads with Cocoa, Cacao or Carob in any form #BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on this home page.

We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.

If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com.

32 comments:

  1. While German Chocolate ones would have been nice, I like the simplicity of two main flavors - cinnamon and chocolate. Plus it's one of my favorite flavor combos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Renee, I just wish I would have used a different icing when I wasn't going German Chocolate.

      Delete
  2. They turned out beautifully, Wendy. Coconut or no coconut. But I understand your disappointment. I did that just the other day, searching in my cupboard for bulgur wheat for a salad. Could have sworn I owned some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I find I run out of the common stuff and forget to replace it but I have 3 bottles of Ground Coriander because never think that I will have that LOL

      Delete
  3. Cinnamon and chocolate go so great together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These cinnamon rolls look so lovely and inviting Wendy. It's a treat for the senses! Thanks so much for participating in this event!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love chocolate and cinnamon. This bread sure looks amazing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a neat idea! A real chocolate dough for cinnamon buns. It's a natural!

    ReplyDelete
  7. simple and delicious... these look perfect for an anytime snack :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how lovely Wendy two out of three of my favourite flavours Chocolate & Cinnamon. Love it! I wish I had a batch of these beauties right about now <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Georgina. I wish you were here so we could share them over a cup of coffee.

      Delete
  9. OMG those chocolate cinnamon rolls sound sooo amazing. Very tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow - your bread looks incredible! Even without the coconut and nuts, it sounds like a winner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes but it would have been much better with all the toppings Beth.

      Delete
  11. Wendy, I too thought 'a yeast bread with chocolate' and I nearly made a quick bread. Chocolate and cinnamon buns look yummy, must be great with a cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look like a delight - coconut or not! I would like some with my coffee, Please!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Irresistible Rolls, perfect with a cuppa.

    ReplyDelete
  14. perfect rolls - for a weekend brunch these would be a show stopper

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can you make these the day before and put them in the fridge overnight?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would think that you could do the final rise in the refrigerator.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.