Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Festive (Kid Friendly) Fruitcake Muffins for #FoodieExtravaganza

It is time again for Foodie Extravaganza, that day each month that we celebrate a food holiday.  This month, in honor of Christmas, Laura of Baking in Pyjamas, has chosen fruitcake as our theme.

Image result for fruitcake

Believe it or not, I have never tried fruitcake prior to this challenge.  I don't know why.  I guess I just heard all the disparaging remarks about fruitcake and never bothered to see if they were based on fact or fiction.  If you, like me, don't know....let me assure you, it is all fiction.  These fruitcake muffins I made are absolutely delicious and I am proud to serve them.


I adapted this recipe from a book called The Pillsbury Family Christmas Cookbook.  I have had this book for over 20 years and pull it out each year and always find a new recipe to make along with some old favorites. 


This recipe starts with a quick bread mix that is doctored up to create a delicious family friendly fruitcake.  It contains no alcohol as most fruitcakes do.  Not that I have anything against boozy cakes. In fact, I love them, but I wanted to make something my Little Miss Melody could enjoy as well.


I started with an orange cranberry quick bread and added raisins and candied fruit.


It was kid tasted and kid approved.
Grampy approved too, even though he thought he hated fruitcake before he tried it.

Festive (Kid Friendly) Fruit Cake Muffins
adapted from Pillsbury Family Christmas Cookbook

1 pkg quick bread mix (I used orange/cranberry)
1 c. water
1 T. oil
1 egg
1 c. raisins
1 c. candied fruitcake mixture

Place all ingredients into a large bowl and mix just until combined.  Spoon into 12 muffin cups that have been lined with paper wrappers or treated with cooking spray. Bake in a preheated 350* oven for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle removes cleanly.  Print Recipe




Foodie Extravaganza is where we celebrate obscure food holidays or cook and bake together with the same ingredient or theme each month. This month -Laura is hosting - She invited bloggers to come up with their favorite Christmas Fruit Cake as December is national Fruit Cake month. .

We hope you all enjoy our favourite festive fruit cakes this month and come back to see what we bring for you next month.

Posting day is always the first Wednesday of each month. If you are a blogger and would like to join our group and blog along with us, come join our Facebook page Foodie Extravaganza. We would love to have you! If you're a spectator looking for delicious tid-bits check out our Foodie Extravaganza Pinterest Board! Looking for our previous parties? Check them out HERE.

12 comments:

  1. A good fruit cake is excellent, there are just so many bad one out there. I know I would be a fan of your fruit cake muffins, great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have an Amish lady around here that makes and sells fruit cakes at Christmas and they are W.O.N.D.E.R.F.U.L!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used leftover Christmas pudding to make muffins last year which I suspect were pretty similar so I can understand how they went down well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww sweet taste tester!! These look so good - I love that you made them into muffins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Rebekah....I think she is right up there with Lindsey for the cuteness factor.

      Delete
  5. My children were asking me to make them some kid-friendly fruit cake, and yours looks like the perfect one to try. Plus I love the orange/cranberry quick bread mix. Your recipe not only looks yummy, but quick and easy as well!! =) Pinned

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this recipe, Wendy! I would absolutely give this a try. (I've never had fruit cake either.)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.