Saturday, December 26, 2015

Christmas Dinner and Mom Klik's Mushroom Soup Recipe

I had posted my Christmas Menu last week but as life will we had some changes in plans.  Our son, Anthony and daughter, Nicole joined us for Christmas Eve at Frank's brother's house.  So they wanted to share Christmas Day dinner with their Mom.  It is difficult being children of divorce, even when you are no longer children.  I never want any of my kids feeling bad or guilty about the holidays so we adapted and decided to have them, Amy, Chuck and Tingting along with their partners for dinner tomorrow.  I am very excited about having all the kids here at the same time. With Chuck in Virginia and Nicole and Pierre having been in Maryland and then Florida, it has been about 10 years since this has happened.



Our Christmas dinner was adjusted and we ended up having only 16 guests instead of the 24 for which we originally planned.  I had planned on serving two meats in the entree course  but held back the Prime Rib to serve tomorrow.


We started with a first course of Butter Poached Scallops over Braised Endive.
I made three platters of these little lovelies.
This recipe was adapted from Mimi Thorisson's "A Kitchen in France".
It was one of our assignments for Weekends in a French Kitchen this month.
Better late than never LOL.


Second Course was Mom Klik's Mushroom Soup.
Mom has made this soup for Christmas since she was a young bride.
This year she suffered some health problems and was not up to the task.
I made this from her recipe that I am sharing below.
It got her stamp of approval so I guess I did good.


Our third course was this lovely salad that I will be sharing with you next month.

Our Entree was not photographed 

Roast Crown of Pork
Scalloped Potatoes and Carrots
Spiced Cranberry Dressing
Steamed Green Beans


For Dessert I made a Candy Cane Trifle.
I like making trifles because they are easy, peasy and delicious.
Don't let the bad photo fool you.
It was gorgeous.
I will be sharing this recipe with you later in the week.

Now onto the recipe for Mom Klik's Mushroom soup.  Mom does all her chopping and slicing by hand.  I used my food processor which makes light work of it.  Mom also uses water and bouillon cubes, I used my homemade chicken stock.  Feel free to use sliced mushrooms if you don't have a food processor.  Mom Klik likes slicing hers by hand so she can get the thickness she desires.  


Mom Klik's Mushroom Soup

2 lbs Mushrooms, sliced
1 large sweet onion, diced
2 strips of celery, diced
1 carrot, diced
1/2 c. butter
6 c. chicken stock
2 c. half and half
2 T. flour
salt and pepper to taste
1 lb. egg noodles, cooked per package directions.

Melt butter in the bottom of a large soup pot.  Add onion, carrots and celery and cook until onion is transparent.  Add the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and let cook over medium heat until mushrooms shrink, about 1/2 hour.  Add the chicken broth, reduce heat to simmer and cook for an hour or so until vegetables are tender.  Mix the half and half with the flour and whisk into the soup. Cook over med high heat just until it is near a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.  Serve over egg noodles.  Print Recipe






2 comments:

  1. How wonderful that you had the kids for dinner. I had to go look at the list of "cast" members to try to figure out who some of these were. It must have been a wonderful meal. It looks luscious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so wonderful. I hope it doesn't take another 10 years to recur.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.