Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Easiest Nut Brittle in the World for #handcraftededibles

Let's go Nuts!!!  It is the holiday season and my family tree must be the pecan because we are a family full of nuts.  I mean that in the best way possible.  We love to have fun.  We love getting together to share stories and laughs.  Play some cards or board games.  Eat and drink and eat and drink and laugh and eat and drink....well, you get the idea.

So it is very fitting for me and my clan that Camilla's theme for this weeks Handcrafted Edibles is nuts.  I had previously shared with you a recipe for spiced cashews. Spice is always good right?  But sometimes you want sweet and spicy so I shared with you this peach and jalapeno cheese spread. Then there are times that you just want sweet so today I am sharing with you the easiest nut brittle in the world.  It is done in the blink of an eye and it is delicious. I was able to make this recipe found on Allrecipes. com AND write this post during Little Miss Melody's one hour nap.  Perfect for the busy holiday season and perfect to serve to guests or give as a gift.


I adapted the recipe slightly using mixed nuts instead of peanuts, lowering the amount of baking soda and varying the cooking times for the individual ingredients.  I can tell you that it turned out perfectly using the recipe as I am writing it.  I sprayed my wooden spoon with cooking spray before stirring which helped keep the brittle in the bowl instead of on the spoon. Once done cooking, spread it onto a parchment lined baking sheet and let it cool.


Break it into pieces.  No science here, just pick it up and snap it.  All different shapes and sizes with different kinds of nuts scattered about.


Transfer them into individual bags, wrap them with a bow and they are all ready for sharing with your family and friends.  Nuts for the nuts, in my case!!


World's Easiest Nut Brittle
adapted from Allrecipes.com

1 can (10 oz) roasted mixed nuts
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. white corn syrup
pinch of salt
1 t. vanilla
1 T. butter
1/2 t. baking soda

In an eight cup glass measuring cup or comparable bowl, combine sugar, salt and corn syrup. Cook in a microwave at 100% heat for 5 minutes.  Stir and add in the nuts.(mixture will thicken but loosen up again upon cooking)  Cook at high heat again for 2 minutes.  Stir in the butter and vanilla, microwave for another 2 minutes at 100% power.  Quickly stir in the baking soda to add air and foam.  Spread onto a parchment lined baking sheet and allow to cool completely.  Break into pieces and enjoy. Print Recipe 

In an effort to make all of her holiday gifts this year, Camilla has us sharing recipes for hand-crafted edibles. Over the course of twelve weeks, we'll be sharing recipes that you can make at home to give to friends and loved ones, or things to serve at holiday parties. We hope you'll follow along for inspiration. You can find out more information, including the schedule: here.

This week, we are "going nuts" and sharing all sorts of recipes with nuts. Think spiced nuts or nutty fruit cake or whatever floats your nutty boat!

Here's what we're posting this week...
Next week - week 10 - check back for our recipes to inspire you as we let our confectioner’s skills shine. Think truffles, barks, anything and everything with chocolate. Don't forget to check out our #handcraftededibles pinterest board.


4 comments:

  1. I have a microwave brittle recipe I make every Christmas - SO easy and so yummy!! I love brittle.. even if my teeth don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first time I have made it in the microwave but it will be my go to recipe from now on Rebekah.

      Delete
  2. This looks awesome, and I love how pretty it is in the individual bags -- what a great little gift! I'v never tried making brittle homemade, but it looks easier than I expected. Might be time to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.