Thursday, June 18, 2015

Lemon Poppyseed Bundt for #BundtBakers

BundtBakers


#BundtBakers is a group of Bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake Bundts with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely Bundts by following our Pinterest board. We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.
Updated links for all of our past events and more information about BundtBakers, can be found on our home page.




Yes, that's right, it is time for this month's Bundt Bakers reveals.  Our host this month is Anne who blogs over at From my Sweet Heart.  From my Sweet Heart is a blog dedicated to all things yummy and sweet....you really need to check it out.....but have a napkin handy to mop up your drool.  Anne chose Lemons as our theme this month.  This made me happy because, after chocolate desserts, lemon are my favorite!  Thanks Anne for choosing lemons and for hosting us this month.

I actually made this cake for a Memorial Day BBQ to which we were invited.  It was the perfect cake to take on a picnic or a barbecue.  You didn't need to worry about refrigeration.  The slices could be eaten from a napkin with your fingers.  Last, but most importantly, it was bright and moist and delicious.

I adapted the recipe I used from one by Martha Stewart.  I made some minor changes in the recipe.  I used Greek Yogurt instead of Sour Cream because that was what was in my fridge.  The recipe also called for adding all of the lemon juice at once before alternating the dry ingredients with the yogurt. Reading the comments on the recipe, I noted one that said her cake batter "broke" when the lemon was added so I added my lemon juice gradually alternating with the dry ingredients and the yogurt. It was very successful.  I don't know if the cake batter would have broken otherwise but I figured why chance it.  The biggest adaptation I made was to add poppyseeds to the cake because Lemon/Poppyseed....well YEAH!



This is a large cake so use a 12 c. Bundt Pan.
I was excited because I got to use my new pan that Ting got me for Mom's Day.
I needed to cover the cake with foil about halfway through the baking time so it wouldn't get too brown.


I allowed it to cool in the pan for about 15 minutes.
It slipped right out without a hint of trouble.


I also chose to use a lemon glaze on the cake instead of a lemon syrup.


This was a wonderful, bright cake that I was proud to serve.

Lemon/Poppyseed Bundt
adapted from Martha Stewart

2 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature
3 c. flour
2 T. finely grated lemon zest
1/3 c. fresh lemon juice
1 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
2 1/2 c. sugar
6 eggs
1 c. Greek Yogurt
2 T. poppyseeds

For Glaze:
1 c. sifted confectioners sugar
1-2 T. fresh lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350*.  Prepare pan by spraying liberally with baking spray.

Combine flour, lemon zest, soda and salt in a bowl.  In large bowl of stand mixer cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Turn mixer speed to low and add the flour mixture, alternately with the yogurt and the lemon juice, mixing after each addition until just incorporated and being careful not to overmix.  Stir in the poppyseeds.

Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.  Bake in the preheated oven for 55 to 60 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.  If the cake begins browning too much loosely cover with a piece of aluminum foil.  Allow the cake to cool in the pan on a wire rack for 15-30 minutes. Turn out onto the wire rack and allow to cool completely.

Sift 1 c. confectioners sugar into a bowl.  Stir in 1 T. of the lemon juice, continue stirring in lemon juice a teaspoon at a time until you reach your desired consistency. Pour over the cooled cake.

Look at all the lovely, lemony creations being shared this month!

33 comments:

  1. It is a lovely cake and one you should be proud to serve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy it is just gorgeous! I will definitely have to give this one a try. My son LOVES lemon poppyseed cake / bread and I haven't made him any in awhile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very nice cake! I love your use of Greek yogurt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great and I love you used greek yogurt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A great substitute for sour cream and I am always more likely to have yogurt on hand.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful cake. I love the cakepan!! And lemon is one of my favorite tastes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too Paula and I hit the jackpot this Mom's day because the gifts kept arriving while I was home so Ting would give them to me and then buy me another to open on the big day. I got 4 gifts this year LOL.

      Delete
  6. One of my favorite things about a nice bundt cake is that you can slice off a piece and eat it with a napkin in your hand rather than a plate and fork. This one looks really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful cake and I too love using yogurt in bakes

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of my favorite pans and one of my favorite flavor combinations, Wendy! I am sure it disappeared in minutes at the barbecue!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love lemon and poppy seed, screams sun and summer to me. And your cake turned out GORGEOUS! Great idea to go slowly with lemon juice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is one of my favorite pans as well!! Gorgeous cake!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You really have very beautiful Bundt...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Wendy, your bundt looks moist and wonderful. I love lemon and poppyseed together...this and a cup of tea is all I need! xo, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a perfect Mother's Day gift! Looks like you've put it to great use so far. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Wendy, your Bundt cake looks absolutely moist and delicious, as usual :-) A slice of your cake, a cup of tea and another perfect day :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you just started my day off perfectly with your kind comment. Thanks Lara.

      Delete
  15. Love that pan, Wendy! It's gorgeous and your cake is too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. "Lemon/Poppyseed....well YEAH!" my sentiments exactly! I love this combo and I love that bundt pan! Your cake looks delicious, and I love the lemon glaze vs. syrup. Can never have too much glaze :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your lemon bundt looks wonderful and I can imagine tastes wonderful too.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.