Thursday, April 16, 2015

Raspberry Filled Lemon Bundt for #BundtBakers

Hi and Welcome, once again, to Bundt Bakers.  The fun little club where each month we are given a theme and create a Bundt cake within that theme.  Let me tell you we have some incredibly talented and creative bakers in this group as you will see when you look at the list on the bottom of this post.

BundtBakers

Our theme this month was "hidden surprise" chosen by Anshie of Spice Roots.  I thought that this was a perfect theme for this month because it is filled with hidden surprises.  First is April Fool's day when tradition calls for surprising people with tricks and stories.  Then comes Easter with egg hunts for the kiddies who look for surprised filled eggs.  You bite into a chocolate egg and are treated with a surprise of caramel or marshmallow or peanut butter.  Also, each year at this time, I am surprised that all my flowers and plants have survived another winter and are starting to show themselves after being hidden under the ground.

I made this Bundt to be enjoyed after Easter Dinner.  It was a perfect ending to the meal, with the bright flavors of the lemon combined with the sweetness of the raspberries.  And it was beautiful as well.


I made a classic Buttermilk Pound Cake recipe and added some lemon zest and juice.
I also added some fresh raspberries to the batter along with a filling made from Raspberry Jam.

The day before I baked this cake, I was lucky enough to recieve a sponsor gift for another event I joined called Hot Summer Eats 2015, hosted by Culinary Adventures with Camilla. 


I was happy to get this Citrus Juicer and Reamer from Casabella.  I used it in this recipe to juice my lemon for the cake batter and the glaze.  I really liked the fact that I could ream the juice into the cup and then use the same vessel to mix and pour the glaze without having to dirty additional containers.






Raspberry Filled Lemon Bundt

3 c. Flour
1/4 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1 c. butter
3 c. sugar
5 eggs
zest from one large lemon
juice from large lemon, divided
1 c. buttermilk
1 shell raspberries
1/4 c. raspberry simply fruit spread (or jam)
powdered sugar

Combine flour, soda and salt.  Set aside.  In large bowl of stand mixer, cream butter and sugar until creamy.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.  Add zest and juice from 1/2 the lemon. Gradually add the flour, alternating with the buttermilk, beating after each addition until just combined.  Toss the raspberries with a T. of flour.  Gently fold into the batter with a spatula.

Pour half the batter into a bundt pan that has been treated with baking spray.  Spoon the fruit spread in a ring around the batter, not touching the sides.  Spoon the remaining batter over the fruit spread and bake in a preheated 325* oven for 1 hour without opening the oven door.  After an hour check the cake and see if it has started pulling away from the side of the pan, if it is you can remove from oven and place on a cooling rack.  If not, continue to bake in 5 minute increments until cake is pulling away from the sides, covering the top (bottom) with foil if getting too brown.  My cake took another 15 minutes of baking time and slipped easily from the pan after cooling on a rack for 10 minutes.  Finish cooling out of the pan on a wire rack,

When the cake is completely cool, combine juice from remaining 1/2 of lemon with sifted powdered sugar until it is thickened and smooth.  Pour over the cooled cake.  I chose to make by glaze thin, allowing it to soak into the cake.  You can make yours to the consistency of your preference and have a visible glaze if you prefer.  It is all determined by the amount of powdered sugar you incorporate into the juice.  Print Recipe

Surprise!!
 Here are the other Bundts brought to the table this month.


31 comments:

  1. Great cake and nice gadget too. (I'm a sucker for kitchen gadgets).

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cake sounds fabulous!! Love the choice of flavors - it looks moist, tender, and perfect. Yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't even think of all the reasons hidden surprises was the perfect theme for April! You are so smart, Wendy. And your Bundt looks divinely buttery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am never surprised that some of my flowers did not make it through winter :)) I would love a surprise that they did. LOL.

    I love your raspberry surprise inside the lemon bundt. Perfect finale to an Easter meal. Thank you for participating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great Challenge this month Ansh. You had many of us going outside of our boxes and that is a good thing.

      Delete
  5. Berries and lemon is always a classic- sounds so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Lemon Bundt looks absolutely delicious! And I love the raspberry surprise. Raspberries are my most favorite berry, so I would love to be surprised with them :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Raspberries and lemon, such a delightful combination! I am so hungry for this right now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great minds think alike!! I did the same sort of flavors, it is such a nice combination. Love your bundt!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that Tara and did you notice that all of my filling fell to the bottom (top) as well.

      Delete
  9. Love the combo of raspberry and lemon, plus a moist and delicious buttermilk cake. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yup this lemon and raspberry combo of a bundt cake is right up my alley! It looks just fantastic!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lemon and raspberry!!!! I love it!!! It looks fantastic!!! And the glaze...!!! I love lemon glaze!!! XO

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great combination!!! Lemon and raspberry make a good marriage ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Wendy, raspberry and lemon is one of those classic flavor combinations that don't go wrong especially in a cake. I love how the little specks of raspberries peep out of your cake. Thanks for baking with us!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful cake for spring! I love love love raspberry and pairing it with lemon is a great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful cake for this time of year, I love the fresh flavours on raspberry and lemon,

    ReplyDelete
  16. Berries and lemon - such a classic combination! Lovely Bundt!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.