Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Potato Chip and Roasted Cashew Cookies #FoodieExtravaganza

This month's theme for Foodie Extravaganza is Potato Chips.  Karen of Karen's Kitchen Stories chose this theme because March 14th is National Potato Chip Day.

No automatic alt text available.

Foodie Extravaganza is a fun little group where we celebrate different Food Holidays.  We find these holidays over at The Nibble.  It seems like there is a holiday for just about any food you can think of.  Karen had no rules other than the dish we create contain or be potato chips.  

My brother and sister in law come to visit us from California each July.   My sister in law travels by train.  Last year, during the trip, she came across a recipe for Potato Chip and Cashew cookies, while reading a People Magazine.  She had torn it out and saved it for me.  I put it in my file and then forgot all about it.

That is, I forgot about it until Karen announced the theme for this month.  Then I excitedly ran to my, very organized piles of papers that are shoved into a cupboard underneath the shelves that hold all my cookbooks, and dug through them until I found it.



This recipe comes from actress, Melissa Peterman.  I followed it nearly exactly with the exception of deleting the addition of salt to the recipe.  I think that, between the chips and the cashews, there is plenty of salt without adding more.



I wasn't sure how I was going to like these cookies and I was surprised how good they were.  My great-niece, Lili, really loved them and Frank kept grabbing a couple each time he passed the counter.

I also liked that these cookies were quick, easy and only made a couple dozen cookies.  This was a good thing because they were just like chips....you couldn't eat just one!!



Potato Chip and Roasted Cashew Cookies
adapted from Melissa Peterman

3/4 c. unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 c. sugar
1 lg. egg yolk
1 t. vanilla
1 1/2 c. flour
3/4 c. potato chips, crushed
1/2 c. roasted, salted cashews, roughly chopped

Place butter and sugar in bowl of stand mixer, fitted with paddle attachment.  Beat on med high until light and fluffy.  Add egg yolk and vanilla, beat to incorporate.  Lower the speed and add the flour, half a cup at a time, until incorporated.  Stir in the chips and cashews.

Use a small cookie scoop to place the dough onto cookie sheets lined with parchment or silicone mats and press down gently with the palm of your hand.  Bake in a preheated 350* oven for 12 minutes, until edges are golden.  Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes or so before serving.  Print Recipe

More Potato Chip Recipes


Foodie Extravaganza celebrates obscure food holidays, and we all post recipes using the same ingredient. Posting day is always the first Wednesday of each month. If you are a blogger and would like to join our group and blog along with us, come join our Facebook page Foodie Extravaganza. We would love to have you!

12 comments:

  1. And yet again, I am reminded that I live with someone who is allergic to nuts! GRRRRRRRR!!! I really do miss them. It's not really that much fun when you have to eat an entire batch of cookies by yourself. Well, it is, but it's not really so great on the diet!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, allergies are hard but think how much worse it is for him.

      Delete
  2. I wouldn't have thought about coming those ingredients but I'd love to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds fabulous, Wendy!! I can't wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great minds think alike! And yet...I didn't add cashews, which I love and would be perfect in these cookies! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was amazed at how many cookies were shared. I would have never thought to add chips to cookies before this.

      Delete
  5. Your pile of printed recipes sounds exactly like mine =)

    Isn't it amazing how good potato chips are in cookies? Who knew!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing. I never would have thought to do this had it not been for the challenge.

      Delete
  6. Mouth melting cookies, I am book marking this recipe. Will try it soon.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.